Sunday 21st June 2009 Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
June 21st 2009
Published: July 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 21st June 2009 Hoi An
The biggest write off day of our trip so far, we woke in ribbons at about 12.30 and the buckets reaped their revenge again. Glad they don’t have them at home with the damage they do to your head the next day. They are so potent. We were never so glad of an air conditioned room either so we just stayed in bed and watched some awful movie with the rock and some little kid on HBO. At about 2pm we managed to get up and go out for some food but the heat was again about 38 degrees or more so our fragile states couldn’t cope with so we headed straight back to our air con room again. Even if we were feeling ok it was too hot to do anything and they don’t believe in aircon in any of the bars or restaurants here in general they just move a fan near you and blow warm air directly at you instead.

We started to come around a bit as the sun went down and arranged to meet John and Claire again for dinner. We went to a very fancy place altogether by the river called Cargo and had a delicious if a little pricey (well the princely sum of 12 Euro which is a fortune for food over here). Mary had been seduced by all the tailor shops over here so couldn’t leave town without getting a dress made so we separated for a while form the other two and picked one shop from the millions available and sat there looking at gunas from a catalogue while sweating profusely. It’s like a 2 in one shop, benefit from a sauna while you pick your clothes. Mary picked something and chose the fabric and got measured up for the $23 tailor made dress we were to pick up at 2 the next day.

We headed back down to busy bar “Before and Then” or whatever it was called, no one can ever remember what it was called, its difficult enough saying Hoi An without calling it Hanoi or An Hoi as John calls it. Met up with the other tow and Pamela and Chris who we had met the night before also and had a few beers, its amazing how you come around again after a beer but we resisted the urge to head beach bar again. Still stayed out til about 2.30 though drinking and then walked the dark streets home again to wake up the crazy landlady who looked like the mad scary one from the movie the ring. She had wild hair and a zombie face and grunted at us when we asked for the key. The same as Vietnam they just sleep on a mattress in reception and get up when you arrive home.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb