goin crazy in 'Nam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
April 26th 2008
Published: April 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we flew from Ventiene, Laos, to Hanoi, North Vietnam. We did not plan to go to the north, simply because of time constraints, but we decided to fly to Hanoi because it was the only cheap place to fly to in Vietnam, and apparantly the bus ride from Ventiene to Danang is 28 hours of hell.

So we decided to check out Ha Long bay for a night, after arriving in Hanoi for the first night. I promised myself i would not go on any more organized tours, but we really had no choice this time if we wanted to see one of the wonders of south east asia. For $60 US the tour included one night on a boat (a very nice boat i might add) 6 meals and all the Kareoke we could muster. It was pretty much just me, maria and patty hanoi-ing (ha i made a funny!) the rest of the people on the tour with very bad versions of some very bad songs. But really, how could you travel asia and NOT do kareoke at least once??

Ha Long bay was beautiful. Check the pics you will agree.

We got back to Hanoi to wait for our sleeper bus...which i had never experienced...its a big VIP bus with beds instead of seats...kinda nice actually. We walked around the very busy capital (the traffic is the craziest traffic i have ever witnessed) and found a little side restaurant where we sat on plastic kids chairs and drank 25 cent draft and chose frogs legs, cuttle fish and a beef dish (playing it safe on that one) out of the many weird choices ranging from dog meat to 5 different dishes of beef penis.

Got on the bus and made our way to Hoi An...we have been warned about the clothes shopping here, and it surpassed what i had expected. I gave in. Today i bought a cashmere suit (pants, suit jacket, 2 shirts) for $59 US, one of the sweetest jackets i have ever seen for $40, a pair of cords and a pair of jeans for $15 each, new shorts for $10 a few $3 tshirts....and the beauty of it all...its all custom tailored, and will fit my irregularly long torso no problem! I pick up the goods tomorrow. We need to buy another bag (which for a northface knock off is only $12) for all this stuff!!! But im gonna look so sweet. I instantly thought of Ali when we were shoppping. Custom made shoes ready in 24 hours. Dresses, sweaters, jackets, suits, skirts, all so cheap and custom made. You pick the material and the style and bang! Come in the next day and get some alterations done if its not to your liking!

What else can i say...did i mention i love the cheap beer??? And the food rivals Thailand, a few more days here and i can make a proper call on what i like better. Authentic Pho is 50 cents, and the french cuisine is amazing.

But i cannot do anymore of this. Beach time tomorrow then off to Na Trang...for more beach.


I love Vietnam. For people wanting to travel south east asia and are thinking of Thailand....think again. Go to Vietnam. Its cheaper, and the people are friendlier, scenery is just as good, and its just....better!!! Our hotel has aircon, a bathroom with bathtub, fridge, TV, balcony...for only $10 US a night! i did a stupid dance in the hallway!

Sad to be home soon. I have a killer job waiting for me when i get back, at least...so i can justify a bit more spending.

Ticket is booked for the 13th of May.


Advertisement



27th June 2008

which country
i would say that thailand is better, the beaches/islands are really incomparable although vietnam is still nice in that it is cheaper. better still, cambodia is like half of what vietnam is

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb