Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
February 26th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This blog by Jacqui:

Part 4 of the Vietnam 60th/30th birthday bash was spent relaxing for 3 days in Hoi An on the beach. The celebrations continued with champagne beach dining in honor of Lindy, shopping expeditions for custom-tailored inexpensive suits/dresses and seafood extravaganzas (we were on the water so deemed it safe).

Day 1 we arrive at the beautiful Victoria Hoi An hotel and make use of the chaise lounges on the beach for reading and scrabble. We venture into Hoi An for dinner and get caught in a torrential rain storm - Lindy, Bill and I bargain for some plastic rain coats (those lady Vietnamese entrepeneurs on bikes are quick!) while Lucas braves the wet and finds us a cool bar to wait out the rain. I can recommend dinner at Hoi An San An restuarant for delicious seafood and wine. Our travels in Vietnam and Laos were enjoyed with our travel companions, Bill and Lindy - always great times, never a loss for interesting conversations and many laughs.

Declared World Heritage by the UNESCO in 1999, Hoi An is a beautiful harbour town just inland from the beach. Our exploration of the old town was chinese temples, historic buildings and the vestiges of french colonialism. We finished the tour at the "Japanese Friendship Bridge" (see photo) where we had an interesting discussion with our tour guide, Lieng. He talked about what they call the "American" War, North vs. South Vietnamese relations (is it mandatory for every country to have a major north vs. south or east vs. west civil war/race issue/lingering conflict/etc.??), the dual hero and betrayer status of Ho Chi Minh, and how the Communist party in Vietnam is changing with the times. It seems the government is taking much of the credit for pro-capitalist policies that is fueling Vietnam's growth, but Lieng basically says the Vietnamese pride, resilience and entrepreneurism is the backbone of this ever-more prosperous country.

The abundance of tailor shops in Hoi An makes for some fun shopping. Lucas was decked out in a fancy business suit (for which he has no immediate use for!) and me in a couple of shirt dresses for my next job! The national dress of the Vietnamese woman is their beautiful "ao dai" ("flowing tunic"). So in Hoi An we seized the opportunity to dress Lindy up in two beautiful ao dai's. Our
"Chairty Box for Especially Difficult Children""Chairty Box for Especially Difficult Children""Chairty Box for Especially Difficult Children"

turns out the US and Australia aren't the only countries filled with little brats - its a problem in the developing world as well (must be that rising Western influence)
time in Hoi An comes to a close quickly as we debate the logistics and relative inexpense of Lucas and I flying back once a year to fill the wardrobes.

Recommendations:

Hoi An specialty Cao Lau: a thick noodle with pork and fresh herbs in light soupy sauce - supposedly can only be made with water from a well in Hoi An

Hoi An San Restaurant - fantastic seafood

Victoria Hoi An Hotel (incredible breakfast buffet - Vietnamese Pho, French chocolate croissants, fresh fruit, omelettes, the list goes on...)

YALY Couture for cheap, stylish tailor-made clothes

Cargo Club restaurant has great 2nd floor view




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb