Sunning in Nha Trang


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
August 23rd 2005
Published: September 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

On the RoadOn the RoadOn the Road

Amazingly empty stretches of Vietnam's highways. Mainly truckers or travelers.
The trip to Nha Trang was arduous in that family roadtrip way.
My entire family (2 pairs of aunts/uncles/cousins) and I packed into a rented Mercedes minivan and off we went from Bien Hoa into Nha Trang and later to Dalat.
Some of the best scenery you'll see of Vietnam is outside your car window as you whizz by remote villages, rice paddies, isolated forestry, and mountain peaks.

On Hwy 1, we passed long stretches of remote beaches where the only people you may see are fishermen. As you go further north away from HCMC, the soil turns red.

Remarks on Nha Trang

Heavily commercialized. It was the first place where I saw the largest number of westerners.
Despite the touristy atmosphere, I thought Nha Trang did live up to its promise of having the nicest beach in Vietnam (trust me, coming from Florida and Cali., I've seen my fair sure of sand/surf).
The sand was soft and neutral in shade. The water was at the right balmy temperatures. The best bonus was NO SEAWEED AND SEASHELLS. Nothing that can poke/tear at your feet when you dive into the frothy surf. And the water was amazingly clear. Nothing
GreeneryGreeneryGreenery

The colors found in the countryside are gorgeously vibrant.
like Vung Tau.
In Nha Trang, the beaches are cleaned everyday by beach sweepers who pick up the rubbish that people just casually throw on the sand (fruit peelings, leftovers). There are no trashcans anywhere I saw on the public beach and alot of people litter here.

We stayed at a mini-hotel, the Blue Bay, right across from the beach and our waterfront balcony got the view of the sunrise.

Here are some decent sights to see in this city:

Hon Chong Promontory
Our driver/guide recommended this place to us. This huge rock outcrop merges into the sea and people can take the stairs and navigate around the rocks and slopes of this natural playground. Sorta like hiking and mountain climbing all at the same time. Great place to take photos and see the geology of Nha Trang.
You get a great view of the ocean, mountainscape, and cityscape from here.

Po Ngam Cham Towers
Ancient Cham towers built w/ reddish stone. Awesome experience to inspect these ancient Hindu architecture. Some of these buildings are still used/adapted for Buddhist worship. The place was a madhouse when I visited on a Saturday afternoon w/ family. Be prepared
Local BeachLocal BeachLocal Beach

One of the beaches popular w/ the locals. Notice the problem w/ littering.
to climb alotta stairs to get to the top.

Oceanographic Institute
Not the greatest aquarium, merely OK. Again, I'm from Florida so I'm not that impressed, we get tropical fish back home too. But, the interesting thing about this place (aside from the shark tank) is the huuuuuge fossil specimen of a sperm whale found in Vietnam. That thing was immense.

BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME: Bao Dai Summer Villas.
One of a few summer residences of the last "king" of Vietnam. Yawn. Not open to the public and can be rented out if you have eno' $$$. This place seems only to attract Vietnamese couples who take sweetheart photos amongst the garden scenery. Snooze.

*Also, alongside the beachfront was a mini-fair ground/arcade that included a Ferris wheel, pool tables, and Dance Dance Revolution (really really bad pads tho'). I entertained my cousin by attempting to teach him pool along with his hustler dad. We gathered alotta attention from the locals. I figured it was because they saw how bad we were playin' and were entertained. My mum just said it's really rare for females to be seen playing pool. Hmm.

Notes: Again, I found that Nha
Hotel viewHotel viewHotel view

Great view at a great price. Cost less then $30 for 4 people w/ balcony view.
Trang is the best place for relaxation. Just chilling. No great shopping here or cultural sites really.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

NightlifeNightlife
Nightlife

traveling w/ family kinda kills that aspect. did have fun at the local arcade/fairground. good place if traveling w/ kids
Hon ChongHon Chong
Hon Chong

One of my fav spots in Nha Trang
Hon Chong IIHon Chong II
Hon Chong II

Go earlier in the morning to avoid the horde. Out here, its relatively quiet
Oceanography InstituteOceanography Institute
Oceanography Institute

Sperm Whales. Had no idea how huge they were. Could have fit a minivan inside this thing.
Seaside from aboveSeaside from above
Seaside from above

Along the mountainside villa of Bao Dai. The view was nice


24th August 2005

Lovely Pictures
Cindy I love your eye. It is very delightful. I look forward to more entries when you have time.
28th August 2005

I'm Jealous!
Man...I'm going to work my butt off so I can go to Vietnam this December. I'm excited! :-)
31st August 2005

Wow thanks
Im going to Vietnam this Jan. To Saigon then Nha Trang, Dalat and Ha noi. Thanks for the info.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb