Happy Lunar New Year!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Da Nang
January 31st 2017
Published: January 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Lunar New Year is over (or almost). What a wonderful time to be in Southeast Asia! At first I was frustrated because some hotel bookings were difficult, a number tourist activities were closed as well as a LOT of restaurants. But then I realized the opportunity I was getting to see how the locals celebrate the holiday. And they celebrate - for days! Actual new year is Jan 27th. The holiday runs from 27th to 2nd Feb. 7 days. Everything is closed from 27th to about 30th or 31st. To be honest I'm not 100% clear on how it is celebrated besides lighting of all the lanterns (it's called the Lantern Festival by many) and what appears to be never ending street festivals. And of course lots of Roosters. Much of this is done in lantern form or flowers or landscaping of sorts. And basically everyone just walks around. Seriously the streets are overrun with people! All locals and no one is going anywhere fast, just walking around taking in their surrounds, taking pictures and that's about it.

But it's beautiful. The lanterns and flower work is amazingly done. There is something about being part of other people's holiday celebrations in their own country. Obviously in the US these are holidays that are celebrated, as we are a country made up of many different cultures and backgrounds. But the celebrations seem muted compared to what I'm seeing in Vietnam (both in Ha Noi & Hoi An). I've heard in China it's double this from some of the tourists I've met. I can't even imagine.

I've attached some photos, but some of my favorite are those of all the local people taking their selfies. Of all the stereotyping I've heard over the years this one is a 100% correct (atleast around the holiday). I have never seen so many selfie sticks and been stopped completely in my tracks because a group of people (not just kids btw!) have stopped to take a picture. And half the time there isn't anything that is in the background that made them stop!

Happy Lunar New Year, everyone! Next stop still in Vietnam but going to Ho Chi Min City (or Saigon)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

DSC_0054DSC_0054
DSC_0054

That is flowers up there! And the darker orange/yellow hanging is lights. It's designs made by a shopping center by the way!
20170130_19443920170130_194439
20170130_194439

How many selfie sticks can you see :)


Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb