China Beach, Marble and Monkey Mountain


Advertisement
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Da Nang
March 16th 2008
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

China Beach, Marble and Monkey Mountain Where I live in Danang is a half block from China Beach. It is the real beach of TVs China Beach fame. I live at Hoa’s Place, a seven dollar a night backpacker’s favorite spot. The beds are hard and the shower puts out just enough water to bathe but I wouldn’t call it a shower. We have had nothing but cold rainy miserable weather here in Danang.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




18th March 2008

China Beach
It was interesting to see the pictures and learn more about China Beach. Your travelblogs are always special. Camilla
19th March 2008

bamboo boat
I find it very interesting the style (round!) boat that the fisherman use. Kind of reminds me of a water ride at Silver Dollar City! I don't think I would be skilled enough to navigate it.
29th October 2008

this is where I live
I KNOW all the girl is this picture,
29th October 2008

am sure the end of the trip they will try to sell you marble?
22nd April 2009

China Beach
Nice pictures, I grew up there... a lot of memory I used to walk barefoot to school from Son tra to An Cu along China Beach. Of note, I can navigate those round boat from shore to fishing boat... Lots of memories.
27th January 2010

The changes
I was there in 1969-1970 the area was beatiful from the mountain, looking towatd China Beach, but up close it wasn't as nice. The change is really great and doesn't look anything like when I was ther great job in making it very appealing. I lived half way up the mountain at water point just below the radio station AFRVN.
5th March 2010

I remember
Stationed there in 72 with the Air Force. Some of the craters there I probably witnessed when the mortars used to hit. Loved the people there,they were always very friendly. I do wish I could go back to see what it is like now.
14th July 2010

DaNang Bridge
One of my best friends was a Seabee and helped build that bridge back in '67 or so. I would take it in '69 when I arrived in country. Funny, he was standing on some scafolding and kept hearing a "ding, ding'. He'd look around and see paint chipped off and got mad. Then someone pointed at a VC down near an embankment. The Marines removed him in some fashion. probably no din, din for him that night.
28th November 2010

Beautiful Pictures
It's very heart warming to see Vietnam in a seemingly prosperous condition. When I was there it was a very depressing war zone. I was a security police officer at Danang Air Base in 1968, then I went to Dong Ha in 1969 for nine monthe and returned to Danang to finish my second tour. In 1969 we new that the war was not a winning situation and that we needed to leave and allow the Vietnamese people continue their lives. I would love to visit Vietnam however, I have concerns about my safety. I wonder it has a high crime rate.
28th November 2010

Crime in Vietnam
There is little major crime. It is pick pocket type crime. If you are prepared and alert you will be alright. It is more safe than American cities.
19th December 2010

DaNang
I was a member of MCB-9 and in June of 65 we landed just east of marble mtn. our camp was just north of marble mtn Camp Adiner an incredtable experance
26th March 2011

i was stationed in viet nam 67 to 69.i enjoyed your photes.good work.keep it up.
18th February 2012

Monkey Mountain
I spend two years there, from 72-73. I would to find a diamond shaped Monkey Mountain patch[ has monkey on it and you wear it on your shoulder. The scenes you show here look very nice there now. I hope they are all living well and without all the problems of the past.

Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 113; dbt: 0.2094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb