Mui Ne


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Binh Thuan » Mui Ne
July 4th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Vietnam Work TruckVietnam Work TruckVietnam Work Truck

Along the 6 km hike
After getting away from the bus we walked thirty-six seconds before locating a sign stating, "Daily cooking classes" shrugging we went in to learn about the class. We were told it only happens in the evening and the guy wasn't sure about anything more than that. But he did hand us the menu to look over then stated they only cook about half of the menu since its "low season." We thanked him and began wandering up the street again stretching our legs.

Pulling out the LP, I gradually flipped through to the bookmarked map for Mui Ne, reading hotel names as we wandered down the strip trying to figure out where we were in comparison to the hotel we were staying at. Every hotel we found wasn't listed in the guidebook. "It's worthless. Great paperweight we have here," I said to Shauna putting it back into my bag, "the next convenience shop you see or someone selling water, let me know?" "Okay." And we continued to walk along the beach. Eventually, the hotels disappeared as did the buildings. Leaving a long stretch of open space where tables and chairs were stacked around random flats of concrete amongst tall palm
Learning SeafoodLearning SeafoodLearning Seafood

On the 6 km walk
trees. A few unused aquariums stood with thick pea green water inside. "I hope they don't still use these?" Shauna pointed to her right. "Probably not unless they are eating algae," I laughed.

Twenty minutes later I found a shop with water. Running across the street I left Shauna with the LP in her hands. We'd walked at least 2 if not 3 kilometers in the afternoon sun. Both of us were drenched with sweat. And ready to sit down in the shade. Coming back across the street with my 12,000 dong 1.5 liter of La Vire water, I opened it up sucking back half the bottle and offering some to Shauna. "I think we are here," she said pointing at the map. "Anything's possible," I said handing her the water. That's when a random foreigner walked over asking us if we knew where we were? Indeed we didn't. He said, they arrived late last night by bus but were looking for the marketplace. Looking at the map, it appeared he just needed to go down the road but knowing we had walked at least three kilometers at that point I said, you'd be better off on a moped then trusting this guidebook.

With that we departed ways. Up around the bend, I looked right to see our seat mates checking into a hotel. I recalled from an earlier conversation that they were staying in the "middle" section of the town, so they could check out both directions. Seeing him, I opened up the book again. Spotting the motel he was standing at. I moved my finger along the beach. "According to this we have quite a distance to go," I said out loud, "because I just saw our seat mates back there checking in. And they were trying to stay at the middle of the beach." "Yep. We'll get there eventually," Shauna retorted. Twenty minutes quickly turned into forty more when we finally spotted the sign for Thai Hoa. "This place isn't two kilometers its more like six! If that guy knew distances, he totally would have acquired our money earlier," I said stumbling down the walkway towards reception.

Reaching the desk, we dropped our bags and sat down with wobbly legs for five minutes when the desk clerk asked what we needed. We replied we had a reservation. They tried subduing our beaten selves by telling us the room they had for us was booked. But we could have a different one for a bit more money. The price went from $30 to $35 because the bungalow was fifteen feet closer in the direction of the beach. We laughed. We pointed to a row of bungalows in the other direction and inquired about the price and when the construction started in the morning. "Construction begins at 6:30 or seven. Those are $25," she stated with a kind smile. "What would you like to do?" Shauna asked. "Look at the two rooms and choose?" I replied. The agent retrieved the key. The three of us walked through the "garden" to the bungalows. Opening the door we looked in. Two beds, two desks, two chairs, air-con, fridge, fan and a bathroom. "How does it look to you?" Shauna said. "Great except do they have something with less beds?" I smirked. "Sorry, all we have left are two bed rooms," the desk lady responded.

Walking back to the reception, we agreed to stay the night because neither of us wanted to go back through the last six kilometers again in search of a place to stay. Both of us pulled on beach clothes, grabbed a couple of chilled beers from reception and walked down to the beach. Sitting down we smiled. Clinked our beers together and took a sip. We finally made it to the beach. It'd been a long rough road but here we were starring out over the Sea of China.

Sipping beers, I thought out loud, "wonder what the water is like?" "Me too," Shauna replied standing up grabbing her beer and camera. Walking down the beach we noticed its relative cleanliness. "Let's take a short walk down that direction," I stated pointing farther down the beach. "Sure," she replied as we walked through the waves crinkling through the sand. As we strolled along we watched fisherman pulling nets, pushing paddles through the water in round boats and shouting back and forth to each other.

Our walk lead us fifteen minutes down the beach until we both decided it was time to return for dinner. "What do you want to do tonight?" Shauna asked as we turned around. "Eat, drink a beer, play some cards, swim in the pool and sleep," I replied. "Sounds perfect." And that's exactly how we finished up
Today's CatchToday's CatchToday's Catch

Small angelfish
the remainder of the day.

"What do you want to do tomorrow?" Shauna asked as our heads hit the pillow and our eyes slowly closed. "I'd like to rent a moped and go for a drive. Just head north to the fishing village then where ever the road leads us," I stated, "but it depends on how long I take to fall asleep since those people next door are really rowdy." "Hopefully they aren't this loud tomorrow," she replied leaning over and snuggling against me. "If they are we could always opt for the construction bungalow," laughed I. "You are a funny man," she said as I finished putting in the second ear plug and pulling her closer.







Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb