De Trang Farm and back to Hanoi 06/08 - 21/08


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
August 6th 2017
Published: August 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

This was our first experience volunteering since we started our travels. We were picked up by there driver in Hanoi and taken to the farm which was an hour and a half drive north west. On arrival we were shown to our respective male and female dormitories and introduced to a few of the English speaking staff working at the farm. We were then taken up to the big boss office to meet president Quyn and her management team. We had a brief chat about our backgrounds, our travels, the farm itself and then sat down to our first lunch with the De Trang farm staff. The food was good and the company very friendly and welcoming. That afternoon our 'work' was a tour and meeting the animals and staff working throughout the farm. We were issued with our sexy new uniforms and were ready and raring to go.



Over the next 2 weeks our tasks included milking and feeding the various animals including goats, ostrich, chickens, cows, pigs (chars favourite), camels, ducks, horses and a donkey. We shoveled shit, collected grass, filled up water buckets, castrated piglets, helped maintain the gardens, worked in the milk and cheese factory and helped out in the old village making troi cakes and and cooking rice alfresco. Aside from our farming duties we also held many classes for the staff including basic first aid training, basic English, numbers, pricing, customer service, conversational English and teaching on specific areas such as restaurant and bar and the milk and cheese factory. We also held more advanced classes for the tour guides every evening and we still found time for beer and make friends for life in Viet, Huong and Quynh.



During our free time we explored the local area with our new friends going for ice cream, Che' (tea), coffee and street food. On our days off we went to Ba Vi national park and visited the 'forest of love' and climbed to the top of the mountain. We were also invited to Viets wonderful family who was treated us to not only a feast but his dad gave us a sample of his practiced (every day) karaoke. Obviously we joined in...

After our volunteering was up we went to Quynhs house to meet her family and spend a few days in the countryside where she grew up. Lots more rice wine, banquets, karaoke and laughter. We even practiced our chinese chess skills with her grandad, we still have a verrryyy long way to go before we can call ourselves Chinese chess players but it was fun all the same.

On the 20th of August we headed back to Hanoi and met up with Viet once more and had beers with Sam, Emma and Olli. It was lovely catching up with them and seeing some old faces from England. For our final treat Huong turned up that evening with Viet to have one last meal together. We went for Pho and sugar cane before saying sad goodbyes to them both. We look forward to seeing them again in England!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb