Meep Meep


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
August 8th 2012
Published: July 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 21.0243, 105.855

Packed, breakfasted, taxi-ed to the airport. Breakfast was enjoyed at a cafe on the corner where previous visitors had scrawled messages on the wall to comment on their experiences of the place. Now I don't know what they were being fed in the Olympic Village in 2008, but one previous patron was a team GB archer who had taken it upon himself to leave the village and visit this cafe for their eggs on toast.

Anticipating traffic of a similar volume to yesterday's trip to the wall, we left the hotel promptly and therefore arrived at the airport early ready for our flight to Vietnam. Kindles for Stacey and I and 'Thundercats' and 'Ren and Stimpy' on Ben's i-pod put paid to any potential boredom. The flight itself was mundane aside from the hour wait on the runway, the horrendous turbulence and the delicious in-flight meal.

Arriving in Hanoi was like coming home for Stacey and I and our excitement built with every step towards the taxi-rank. I'm quite sure that our frequent sentence starter of "last time....." became boring for Ben! Apologies Mr Ben! Our taxi dropped us off at our hotel, where our true experience of Vietnamese courtesy and hospitality began in earnest. Our bags were carried in for us, while we were reminded to take our time and check we had not left anything behind. The door was held open, a welcome drink and a refreshing towel were ready for us while we sat down and check-in was taken care of. All smiles, the receptionist showed us to our immaculate rooms, where the beds were decorated with petals. Each room has a computer and internet access, complimentary water and herbal tea, and the staff are only too happy to teach us Vietnamese, tell us the best places to eat and are just generally the most helpful, smiley and polite people imaginable. I love Vietnam. Love it!

Dinner was at a local restaurant, where all three of us indulged in Pho. For those who do not know, this is a favourite dinner of Stacey and I, which we cook a few times a month! Tonight's choice was Pho Ga (chicken) for me and Pho Bo (beef) for Stacey and Ben. Although it was delicious, I felt a swell of pride when Stacey said that my home-cooked one was better! So, we are now on the hunt for the perfect pho!

Home to blog and then to bed, ready to hit the streets and museums of wonderful Hanoi tomorrow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb