Follow Your Star


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
January 6th 2013
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Shopping HanoiShopping HanoiShopping Hanoi

Troops decide to warm up their wardrobes at Vincom Center
Geo: 21.0243, 105.855

DAY FOUR (1/6/13)— Hanoi

Patrick and I have breakfast in the hotel, before heading out for what should have been a 10-block walk to St. Joseph Cathedral for 9 o'clock Mass. Despite the fact that the church is roughly 3 stories tall, we can't see it from half a block away. We circle the designated block and still no luck. Fortunately, a guy looks at us looking lost and simply says, "Church?" We nod and he sends us down an alley; the Gothic spires suddenly appear.

On the front steps is an almost life-size manger. Inside are wreaths and lights and Christmas trees. The only words I recognize during the hour we spent there are Epiphany, Bethlehem and alleluia.

I realize that today is the feast of the Epiphany, the day Jesus and The Magi met up. It involved a lot of travel and following a star. Seems appropo.
Since we arrived, we have commented on the extent of the Christmas decorations here. For a nation that is mostly Buddhist, there is an excessive amount of trees, bells, lights, garland and more. When we arrive in Florida, usually this week each year, there remain only a few pretty poinsettias in full bloom
and a few straggling strands of white lines wrapped around palm trees.

I comment about it and then learn that Tet (Lunar New Year) is February 10 and it is a much bigger holiday than Christmas). So decorations stay up and more go up as part of all the festivities. Tauck doesn't even operate this trip during Tet, because many of the sights are overtaken with celebrations and local participation.

The cathedral service is in Vietnamese (the one at 11 am is in French). The music is beautiful. The exchange of "peace" is a bow, rather than a handshake, with very little eye contact. I am the only blonde in church … but then, of course, I'm not really a blonde. So I guess there are none!

We make our way back to the hotel where Adorjans and Morleys have contrived a plan. First things first: a trip to a typical mall called Vincom Center. Morleys need sweatshirts. Adorjans need an overnight bag.

A word about the weather. It is chilly. The normal high in January in Hanoi is 60-62. It is 50° today, wet and breezy. Cheryl is freezing. She has brought a jacket and one cotton sweater. They both packed well for later in our trip when we are at the equator, but not so well for this first part where we are in North Vietnam. I have packed two sweaters, a fleece jacket and a raincoat. I am adequate with what I brought. Patrick wishes he had brought a heavier sweater and lined slacks or jeans; he brought a cotton sweater and a Goretex hooded jacket. And slacks, of course.

About the overnight: Tuesday morning we will depart the hotel for an overnight on a sampan, cruising through Halong Bay. Weather is similar to Hanoi. So despite the promise of kayaking and a reminder to bring a swimsuit, our group is buying gloves AND an extra bag because they didn't realize they would have to voluntarily separate themselves from their big luggage for a night.

Our shopping time doesn't take as long as we anticipate, so lunch plans come early. We decide to walk the 10 blocks to the restaurant, selected by the hotel concierge. The restaurant is called Verticale. The menu is limited but we all find things to dine on. The restaurant is a little dingy and not the cleanest, it seems. But the food is all to our liking. I have duck terrine (pate), Dianna has pumpkin soup and most of the others have the pork three ways. Our bill for two of us is under $20.

Two other tables are filled with Americans. There 15 or 16 in all … all men. There is a run on the pork dish there as well. I stop to chat because I am curious about this al­l-male group. I can't believe it has never crossed my mind that these are Vietnam War veterans. They have been sent by the VFW to return to a place where ALL served and were wounded. It was a pleasure and a privilege to meet them. Many are from Florida and one is from the St. Louis area (Bridgeton).

We walk back to the hotel, taking photos along the way. Then we head out to the National Museum of Vietnamese History. For $.75 each, we spend an hour touring artifacts that are of minimal interest to me. Some date back 300-400,000 years. About half the items have 2 or 3-word English descriptions but very little frame of reference. “Dragon in stone” but no explanation of how and where it was used. Bottom line: a few interesting things but probably something we could have missed.

Time to rest. To put our feet up. Man, could I use a Tab!

At 6 pm we attend our first Tauck function, a cocktail party in L'Orangerie, a lovely glassed in private area at the back of Le Club. Larry Abbott, formerly of Oklahoma and now of Bangkok, is our Tauck Tour Director. Already fond of his sense of humor. We have 26 travelers, which is a nice size. Our eight St. Louis “Mafia”, as Cheryl refers to us, makes up about 1/3 of our group.

Larry gives us an intro to our tour and details about tomorrow, while we sip beverages and munch on hors d'oeuvres. We then move to Le Beaulieu restaurant in the hotel for a three-course dinner. We dine with Ann and Clyde Dos Santos of Anaheim, CA and Sharon and Charlie Coleman of Los Angeles. The meal is quite yummy. We retire to our rooms and prepare ourselves for our 8:15 meeting time in the morning.

Peggy's luggage has arrived!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

National Museum of Vietnamese HistoryNational Museum of Vietnamese History
National Museum of Vietnamese History

Tough museum to visit; very little English
Tauck paxTauck pax
Tauck pax

Jeff & Karin Roby, Tucson; Ann & Clyde Dos Santos, Anaheim
Tauck paxTauck pax
Tauck pax

Jackie & Sheila Knight, Malvern, Australia
Tauck paxTauck pax
Tauck pax

Patrick, with Bob Clyne (Long Island), Cheryl Morley, Mitch Friedman (Great Neck, NY)


6th January 2013

The flower peddler picture is beautiful, my fav so far. Looking forward to more!
7th January 2013

As always, I get the feeling that I am along for the ride.
7th January 2013

I am enjoying your blog. I am living vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing.
7th January 2013

We saw the same wire mess when we were in Beijing for the Olympics, must be a cultural thing.
7th January 2013

THIS LOOKS LIKE MY HOME WHEN CHARTER PUT IN CABLE!! SOME THINGS TRANSVERSE MILES !!
7th January 2013

PS YOU HAVE A GIFT FOR WRITING, THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR TRIP.
8th January 2013

Of course, up to this point, I am totally worried about Peggy's luggage! Yea!
18th January 2013

For the overnight boat adventure, can you take your carry-on luggage, or should I think about something else entirely? We are on the 10/31/13 trip. I suspect it will be wrmer in Hanoi at the very beginning of November.
24th January 2013

We are planning to take this trip with another couple in Dec., 2013. Larry was our tour guide this past spring when we went to China. He's wonderful If you receive this before end of tour tell Larry the Riskins say hello. Trip sounds wo
nderful
24th January 2013

Yes, you take your carry on luggage aboard Bhaya III and the big pieces then meet you at the beach resort. I would highly recommend bringing a soft packable piece of luggage as well. I have one made of parachute silk. I pack it with shoe
s and dirty clothes for the return trip, thus creating room in my suitcase for "wat nots". Please write me at spoonball@aol.com and I'll provide email information on Larry.
3rd February 2013

We are booked on the Oct. 27th tour. We will be flying out of LAX. Any chance you would send me the contact info from the parties in your group from the Los Angeles area? We live in Thousand Oaks.
29th October 2013

I also had to buy some heavier clothes in Hanoi. I was too cold. My hotel rooms were also chilly; but they supplied extra blankets so I was OK sleeping.
29th October 2013

One wonders why there are not more fires in Hanoi? Crazy Wiring situation.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb