Ha Long Bay and retracing our steps back to Hue


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
December 23rd 2016
Published: December 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

From Hanoi we took a bus and hydrofoil to Cat Ba island in Ha Long Bay. Cat Ba is the largest island of nearly 2000 in the bay. Some are inhabited but many are merely rocky outcrops. It was a strategic lookout point and was bombed during the American war forcing residents to hide in some of the numerous caves dotted around the island. I visited a Hospital Cave on the edge of the National Park, and only 10 km from Cat Ba town. This is a 3 storey building within a massive cave which was used as a bomb-proof hospital in the American War until 1975. I also walked to Canon Fort on the southern tip of the island. Here you could see anti-aircraft cannons, ammunition stores, trenches, the helicopter landing pad and the lookout points. It was interesting to delve into the history of this island.



From Ha Long Bay we came back to Hanoi, and then onto Nha Trang caves. A group of us signed up for an organised tour to visit Paradise cave and Phong Nha cave. Paradise Cave is the longest dry cave in Asia (31km long) and has the most spectacular stalactites and stalagmites. Phong Nha cave has grottoes and an underground river which you are punted along. The whole day took your breath away - the inside of the caves looked like a sci-fi film scene, and certainly didn't look real, let alone naturally formed. Photos really can't do it justice.



Back to Hue tomorrow for Christmas and to Mui Ne for New Year.



Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and best wishes for the New Year. Will be in touch again in 2017.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



11th January 2017

Caves
Wow! Those caves are AMAZING! XX
22nd January 2017

Amazing Caves
Yes Meg they sertainly took your breath away. I have never experienced anything like them before.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb