Day 1 Travelling and Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
July 21st 2015
Published: July 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 1
This is my first time travelling and my first travel blog, so bare with me. Currently writing this from Munich airport which is an unexpected stop but well received as we could stretch our legs and get a caffeine fix. The 4am start from home was an early one. Especially as I couldn't sleep because I was so excited. We had a false start; after 10 miles, Lesley had forgotten her glasses so we had to go back. That's not like her at all!!

We boarded in Manchester at 9am and stopped at Munich at 12pm. Flight out of Munich is 1.30pm to Singapore flight time 11 hours. Stop at Singapore for 2 hours then a further 6 hours to Hanoi. Arriving at 12 noon tomorrow. The trip sounds gruelling but I'm enjoying myself so far. No hassle checking in, leisurely stroll around the shops. Lovely breakfast and free drinks on the plane. Offered sweets to the man next to me but he doesn't want to talk! Will sign off now as setting off again and will soon be time for lunch.

Travelling 22 hours now and at Singapore airport. Slept for about an hour. Food and service on the plane was great (Singapore Airlines) ..... smoked salmon starter, Hagen Das ice cream etc. Watched the sun rise over Singapore as we flew in. Beautiful. Last leg now Singapore to Hanoi.

At Hanoi hotel room changed and is disappointing. Sleeping in my mummy bag tonight! Proud of myself as managed to get a shower without my flip flops on! (If you know me you'll understand)! Had a coffee in Hanoi square; traffic is unbelievable. So many horns beeping and people with masses of goods to sell strapped to their bikes. Walked around lake Hoan Kiem lake and went in the temple. Stunningly beautiful. Walking around the lake there was lots of old men playing mahjong and both men and women just stopping in the park and doing tai chi, doings waiting, aerobics etc. seemed strange to visitors but perfectly normal to locals.

We decided to go to the Water Puppet show. This is a traditional art that goes back to the 11th century in Vietnam. Puppets dance on water. There was a live orchestra and singers. It was really unusual however, Lesley and I fell asleep and our heads kept nodding which was funnier that the show itself! We'd eaten so much on the plane so decided to stop for a little snack and get street food. Sat on little plastic chairs with beer and some thing in bread! Was nice. Was more interested in watching a woman devour boiled chicken feet! Back to the hotel for a cold shower. It's been a long day but great. Reflecting on the day I'm very pleased with myself for daring to cross the roads!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



21st July 2015

Hellooooo
Glad you're there at last. Looks fantastic! Keep the updates coming... xx
21st July 2015

Hi from Hanoi
Hi Rich Thanks for your message. Am having a ball. Moving on to Halong tomorrow xx
21st July 2015

Wow
Wow - well don't you look great; nice to see you happy and relaxed xx
21st July 2015

Hi from Hanoi
Hi David Thanks for your messages they are very welcomed. Having a ball. Moving on to Halong tomorrow. Speak soon xx

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb