HOLI crap this is fun!!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
April 7th 2013
Published: June 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

After the quiet life of HaiPhong, it is a relief to unwind for the weekend in the big city! Hanoi is the place to be for not only night life, but for a varity of events every month to enjoy. Hanoi was celebrating the Indian festival HOLI; the festival of colours!

As soon as we heard about the festival we bought tickets. What was there to think about, unlimited free booze, and unlimited free paint, and a day simply for dancing and throwing paint at each other (a winning combination).

We headed to the American Club in Hanoi dressed only in white to make the most of the tie-dyeing. Within seconds of paying in we had run to the table of paints and had started launching it at each other. You would swear we had been in a paintball massacre.

Next we headed straight for the free beer (unlimited refills is a dangerous thing). We mainly stuck to the beer but there were other drinks available (also free). The woman behind the bar was very stingy with the whiskey, giving everyone a dribble in the glass, even though she knew we would be back moments later for another. The free food provided was a delicious indian buffet of different curries and skewers.

The paint fight continued the rest of the afternoon, with friends turning into enemies and shoving paint in places it really shouldn't go! People then came after us with water making the paint run and mix even more.

When the festival was ending we headed to the Old Quarter for drinks before getting the bus back to Hai Phong. The looks we got on the bus were no surprise, I was just hoping that I wouldn't leave paint all over the seat when I got off.

It took days to get all of the paint washed away. The next day my body was stained pink and no matter how much i scrubbed my face was still dyed a red colour. Every time I showered that week more and more green paint would come from my hair.



Can honestly say this was my favourite day in Vietnam so far. It was a perfect day to spend with friends and I will never forget it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb