Cruising the Red River


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
July 28th 2008
Published: July 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Red River in HanoiThe Red River in HanoiThe Red River in Hanoi

The boat is the office of the Red River Tourist Company. This shot was taken when our boat was leaving it.
This is my 50th blog and it's about the river that carries my name. In 1954, my father, who was a teenager from southern Vietnam, traveled on a Polish ship to Hanoi for training, hoping 2 years later he would go back home as a cadre. The American war started and the country was divided into north and south for 21 years. He met my mother, a Hanoian woman, in the early 1970s. They married and settled down in Hanoi before he had a chance to return home to see his parents in 1975 when the country was reunited. My parents gave me the name “Red River” in memory of Hanoi where they met and had decided to live together for the rest of their lives, while my sister was given the name of his home town in southern Vietnam.

The river which originates in Yunnan province of China comes into Vietnam at Lào Cai province and runs through northern Vietnam (including Hanoi). It’s called “Red River” which is the chief river of northern Vietnam (1,175 km long). The river has red water due to alluvium (silt). It also forms a great delta before entering the Gulf of Tonkin at Nam Định province.

When I was a little girl, my family lived near the river outside the dike system. We experienced many floods over the years, especially during the high water season from July to September. I still remember the day when we woke up to find all pots/basins floating around our beds and we had to walk around in the water. Power was cut off on those days and we had to move to our grandparents house or my father’s office for a few days. Nowadays there is rarely flooding on the river thanks to the Hoà Bình hydropower plant built upstream.

My father worked as a water engineer. His work related to the protection of the dike system in Hanoi and the northern provinces. I remember seeing pictures of termites on many books that my father had in our house. The dike system is now built with concrete, but back then it was mainly built with soil and covered with grass. During floods, many large sand bags as well as concrete blocks were placed at the gates of the dike system to prevent flooding in the city. My father said there were 3 levels of flood
The Red RiverThe Red RiverThe Red River

I am standing in front of Chử Đồng Tử temple (Hưng Yên province) by the Red River. The Áo Dài that I wear is a modern design, which has front and back panels, but no collar and sleeve.
warning. There are some neighboring provinces near Hanoi that would be drained of flood water in emergency cases, if the flood threatened to endanger Hanoi city and the dike that protected the city. Fortunately, this case has never happened.

The photos in this blog were taken on Sunday 27 July 2008 when I took a one day Red River cruise. The boat left the wharf at 7:30am and we were back at 5:30pm. We visited Dầm temple and Đại Lộ temple in Hà Tây province, Chử Đồng Tử temple in Hưng Yên province and on the way back to Hanoi, the boat stopped at Bát Tràng ceramic village. A ticket for the boat trip costs VND 210,000 (approx US$13) including lunch and folk song performance. There were a couple of singers from Bắc Ninh province who performed folk songs “Quan họ” and “Dân ca” of northern Vietnam. One of the girls wore traditional dress of Bắc Ninh province and the other one wore traditional dress of northern women in the old days, as you can see in my photos. I wore an Áo Dài (Vietnamese traditional dress), but this dress is a modern design which has front and back
Special curtain of rootsSpecial curtain of rootsSpecial curtain of roots

Long roots like curtain in front of a house at the village on the way to Dầm temple in Hà Tây province.
panels but no traditional collar and sleeve. It’s suitable to wear during the summer time.

The highlights on my trip were cruising along the Red River in the sun, hearing the traditional songs, walking around the villages on the way to the temples, watching the sand barges and sand exploitation areas along the river, roots of banana trees under the water, floating houses, boats full of ceramic products and a great view of the sandy beach in front of Chử Đồng Tử temple.

I started this blog with a story about my father and the river that carries my name. Now I would like to end this blog with a message from Mr. Thành, an overseas Vietnamese, whom I considered my uncle. Both of us were members of the Thorn Tree travel forum - Lonely Planet website. Mr. Thành used to work as a journalist during the American war. He is a great mixture of 3 regions of Vietnam, born in Huế, lived in Sài Gòn but speaks Vietnamese with northern accent. Now he lives in Houston, USA. On one of my threads in the Thorn Tree travel forum, Mr. Thành wrote these touching words to my father: “To a gentleman in Hanoi, who was one of the men who left Vệ River in Quảng Ngãi half a century ago to regroup in the North, temporarily adopting the Red River as his loved ones he thought for only 2 years. History verifies that he was wrong: under the country’s circumstance, all of them got trapped here for the rest of life...”

Travel tips: You can buy ticket for the tour at "Công ty du lịch Sông Hồng" (the Red River Tourist Company), No. 42 Chương Dương Độ street, Hanoi. Ticket price VND 210,000 (approx. US$13) in July 2008 (including insurance, lunch and folk song performance on the boat). Tel: 84-4-38261479.

Du thuyền trên sông Hồng – Ngày 27/7/2008

Đây là Blog thứ 50 của tôi và tôi xin được viết về chuyến đi trên dòng sông mang tên tôi. Từ lâu tôi đã nghe nói về tour du lịch một ngày đi dọc theo sông Hồng do Công ty du lịch sông Hồng tổ chức. Nhân một ngày đẹp trời, tôi quyết định thực hiện chuyến đi và chụp ảnh để đưa lên Blog đặc biệt này. Tôi mua vé vào buổi sáng ngay trước
A pondA pondA pond

At the village on the way to Dầm temple in Hà Tây province.
chuyến đi. Con tàu sát bờ sông Hồng chính là văn phòng của công ty du lịch. Giá vé hiện thời là 210.000 đồng (khoảng 13 USD), bao gồm cả tiền ăn trưa, bảo hiểm và xem ca nhạc trên tàu. Đúng 7 giờ rưỡi sáng, tàu “Sông Hồng 5” rời bến. Chúng tôi đi dọc theo sông Hồng, qua hai cầu Vĩnh Tuy và Thanh Trì. Một lát sau, hai cô gái người Bắc Ninh trong trang phục truyền thống của vùng quan họ với chiếc nón quai thao biểu diễn một số bài hát quan họ và dân ca. Họ cũng mời khách du lịch trên tàu cùng hát.

Sau đó, tàu cập vào bên bờ sông và một tấm gỗ được đặt ở mũi tàu để mọi người xuống thăm quan. Cả đoàn theo cô hướng dẫn viên đi dọc theo con đường làng để đến thăm Đền Dầm. Tôi rất thích những ngôi nhà nhỏ dọc theo con đường làng và những khu vườn yên tĩnh. Chúng tôi cũng đi bộ đến một ngôi đền khác với mái đền uốn lượn và màu vôi trắng nổi bật giữa màu xanh của cây cối ở xung
The Red RiverThe Red RiverThe Red River

On the way to the Red River Tourist Office, there is a floating bridge. I saw this boat on the left side of the bridge.
quanh. Ngoài cổng là hàng cột có hình con voi và con ngựa. Phía sau đền là cây mít trĩu quả và một cây thị hàng trăm năm tuổi. Ngôi đên tiếp theo là Đền Đại Lộ. Trời tháng 7 rất nắng nóng, ai cũng toát hết cả mồ hôi vì oi bức. Một bác trông đền tặng cho tôi một chiếc quạt giấy nhỏ màu hồng. Bên ngoài cửa đền có mấy con ngựa vàng mã. Thời gian chúng tôi có mặt ở đó cũng là lúc ba nhà sư bắt đầu làm lễ. Hòa thượng đứng ở chính giữa quay tròn liên tục, trong khi hai nhà sư trẻ gõ mõ và phía sau lưng họ là mấy thân chủ đang xì xụp lạy theo. Chúng tôi chơi ở đây một lát rồi quay trở lại con đường cũ để ra bến tàu.

Điểm thăm quan tiếp theo của đoàn là Đền Chử Đồng Tử ở tỉnh Hưng Yên. Tàu dừng sát bậc thang, nên chúng tôi có thể leo thẳng lên bờ mà không cần tấm gỗ. Tiếc là hôm nay nước ngập lên bãi cát nơi Tiên Dung và Chử Đồng Tử gặp nhau. Đường
A singer works on the tourA singer works on the tourA singer works on the tour

This is one of the two singers on the boat tour. She is wearing traditional dress and hat (Nón quai thao) of women in Bắc Ninh province. That area is very famous for folk songs "Quan Họ".
vào bên trong đền rất mát mẻ, vì có nhiều cây nhãn là đặc sản của địa phương. Những hàng rong ngồi ở lối vào ra sức mời chào mọi người mua bánh kẹo, phấn hoa mật ong, ổi, chuối v.v. Ngôi đền có kiến trúc khá đẹp với những công trình cổ kính và chiếc lư đồng có hình hai con rồng ở hai bên.

Khi chúng tôi quay trở lại tàu thì nhìn thấy những suất ăn đã được bày sẵn trên bàn. Đó là những hộp cơm với nhiều rau, một chút thịt gà và thịt lợn. Món tráng miệng cuối cùng là dưa hấu. Tàu đi dọc theo con sông, lúc gần bờ bên này, khi lại thấy sát bờ bên kia. Chúng tôi nhìn thấy những đụn cát lớn là nơi người ta khai thác cát cho các công trình xây dựng ở Hà Nội, những xà lan chở vật liệu xây dựng, những con tàu thấy có cả chiếu đem phơi, những cây chuối ngập trong nước, những bãi ngô và vườn cây ngay sát bờ sông, bến phà qua sông Hồng, rồi cả những chiếc thuyền chất đầy sản phẩm gốm sứ.
Thanh Trì bridgeThanh Trì bridgeThanh Trì bridge

This is one of the largest bridges in northern Vietnam. It was built by Japanese ODA loan.
Hai giờ chiều, tàu dừng lại ở bến sông để mọi người leo lên bờ thăm làng cổ Bát Tràng. Tôi ngồi lại trên tàu và phải luôn miêng trả lời các nhân viên trên tàu hỏi tôi tại sao không xuống. Tôi nói là đã đến Bát Tràng quá nhiểu lần rồi và đi bằng xe buýt.

Từ bến tàu vào chợ gốm Bát Tràng là 600m. Mọi người có thể đi bộ hoặc đi xe trâu kéo với giá 10.000 đồng một người. Tôi nhìn thấy chiếc xe trâu và mấy người khách ngồi trên đó, nhưng về sau nghe mọi người nói là xe bị quệt vào cây nên bị sập mái. May là không ai bị thương, nhưng mọi người cũng sợ và phải cuốc bộ chặng đường về dưới trời nắng nóng. Trên tàu cũng tắt hết quạt để tiết kiệm năng lượng, nên mọi người phải kéo rèm cửa lại cho mát. Ngoài trời lúc này nhiệt độ là 38°C. Mấy cô bé tranh thủ kéo ghế ra và ngả lưng một lát, trong khi mấy cậu con trai thì trêu đùa nhau. Tôi ngạc nhiên là vì sao trên tàu có nhiều
Banana treesBanana treesBanana trees

At the village on the way to Dầm temple in Hà Tây province.
nhân viên như vậy mà toàn là người trẻ tuổi. Hóa ra là có nhiều bộ phận phục vụ cho một chuyến đi, như là bộ phận lái tàu, bộ phận phục vụ bán nước và hoa quả cho khách, bộ phận nấu bếp phục vụ bữa trưa, bộ phận kỹ thuật sửa chữa hư hỏng hay trục trặc trên tàu. Phần lớn thời gian, tôi ngồi nói chuyện với anh lái tàu và nghe anh kể về những kinh nghiệm lái tàu của anh. Khi thấy bóng dáng hai người khách quay lại tàu, mọi người dậy kê lại ghế và bật quạt cho khách.

Chương trình buổi chiều là biểu diễn ca nhạc hát dân ca do hai cô gái người Bắc Ninh sáng nay biểu diễn. Tôi lên tầng trên của tàu, nhưng ở đó rất nóng. Mọi người mời tôi vào căn phòng nhỏ của anh lái tàu ở ngay lối lên cầu thang, ở đó có quạt nên rất mát. Tàu quay trở lại con đường cũ, đi qua cầu Vĩnh Tuy và cầu Thanh Trì. Khi tàu cập bến cũng là lúc hai cô gái người Bắc Ninh hát bài hát tạm biệt mọi người và vẫy tay chào. Chúng tôi lên bờ và nhìn thấy anh Giám đốc Công ty du lịch sông Hồng đứng chào tạm biệt mọi người. Chuyến đi thật thú vị và sau một ngày, chắc hẳn anh cũng cảm nhận thấy điều đó ở các vị khách du lịch. Tôi cũng thực sự ấn tượng về phong cảnh làng quê dọc theo dòng sông Hồng, những ngôi đền cổ và sự thân thiện của các nhân viên phục vụ khách du lịch trên tàu.

Địa chỉ Công ty du lịch sông Hồng: số 42 Chương Dương Độ, Tel: 84-4-38261479.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 33


Advertisement

Đại Lộ templeĐại Lộ temple
Đại Lộ temple

The horse is made of paper as an offering and will be burned down.
Chử Đồng Tử templeChử Đồng Tử temple
Chử Đồng Tử temple

This temple is located in Hưng Yên province.
Countryside landscapeCountryside landscape
Countryside landscape

Beautiful countryside landscape on the way to Dầm temple.
A boat on the riverA boat on the river
A boat on the river

2 mats are dried in the sun.
The dike system to protect Hanoi cityThe dike system to protect Hanoi city
The dike system to protect Hanoi city

Now the dike system is built with concrete.


29th July 2008

Thanks
Such an interesting entry - thanks for sharing this! Take care.
20th January 2010

Tour price update
This tour is now (Jan 2010) advertised on the Công ty du lịch Sông Hồng tour comopanies website for VND255,000, if you google the Vietnamese name of the company you will find their site.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb