Road trip


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
July 26th 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

route through Laos

slow boat to Louangphrabang (2days), busses to Vang Vieng, Vientiane (Viangchan) and Thakek (Muang Khammouan), motorbike in loop stopping at Kong Lo (where i stayed in a village), and Nakay.

(I have added photos from my last blog entry)

It had been raining hevily again in Vang Vieng, and in the morning the river was extremly high the main bridge was inaccesable. i spoke to one local who said he came back to his house completely flooded. whole trees are floting down the river. as the road north is blocked i decided to go south to the capital Vientiane. luckally i went in a new minibus which could negotiate the floded roads - we saw many busses breaking down and having to be pusshed through the knee deep flooded roads.

Vientiane was a very sleepy laid back city. we went to a local club (which closed at 12) where we were the only white people, and everyother song was ballroom, where the oldies woiuld quickly rush to the dance floor. i got another massage, which was just painfull. i found the massage very amusing, i felt embarrased as i couldnt stop laughing as her stretch me in strange positions. it proved contageous and soon everyone in the parlor was laughing too.

I love Laos as it seems much less affected by tourism, i decided to go further south
PakbengPakbengPakbeng

stop off from the slow boat
to Tha Kaek where there are even less tourists. i love the feel of the place. although knowone speeks much english, the children will greet you when walking down the street, and the locals will invite you to eat with them and attempt conversation. i decided to go more off route by renting a motorbike for a few days, doing a 440km loop through the mountians, visiting caves on the way, and staying overnight at a farmers house in a village. it was extremly fun! the scenery is nothing short of spectaculor, and my experiance in a local village was unforgettable. I again found extreme generosity with the locals. i was embarrased when they gave me such a large meal to eat while they watched, i ate only enough not to be rude however, as the left overs went to feed the rest of the family.

It was ashame to return my motorbike and leave to Vietnam. i think i will really miss Laos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

our blocked pathour blocked path
our blocked path

on our map this was described as a "dry creek bed
fresh coconutfresh coconut
fresh coconut

we both felt so proud we used finally cracked the coconut open with a masheti
dusty road dusty road
dusty road

...i wondered why the locals were staring at me


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb