First taste of Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
April 5th 2008
Published: April 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi guys,

Thanks for tuning in. As you can see we have just uploaded our first lot of pic's of Nam, plenty more to come .. First impression of Vietnam were not so great. We had to wait ages for our luggage at the airport nothing major but not what you want when you have been travelling for hours. We had problems with the ATMs they would not dispense enough money for us. The money we did manage to get we had no idea how to convert. A young vietnamese man approached us asking if we wanted a taxi, of course we did so we followed. We were dropped off at the centre of Hanoi paid and went on our way. Still totally confused by the dong when we finally worked it out lets just we paid a little over the odds for our drive! (Spitting feathers for days!)

Thankfully things improved after the not so good start. Hanoi is a bustling city with plenty of things to explore. Weather was warm but overcast due to the 3000000 motorbikes that fly around the streets!

After Hanoi we fled north to Cat Ba Island for a few days. Weather turned sour and was particularly foul on the day we decided to hire a bike and ride around the Island. We generally chilled out for a bit. Accommodation is cheap cheap! About 9 quid for the 3 nights we were there.

Armed with our copied edition of The Lonely Planet Guide (T's bible!) We ventured back on to the mainland to a sleepy little town called Ninh Binh. We spent a few days there taking in Tam Coc with it's river grotto's, Pagoda and Temple.

From there we took the sleeping bus down to Hue (central Nam), sleeping being the operative word. Steveo had to sacrifice his bed next to me for a rather less cozy 5 birth spot with 3 other locals. A half naked Vietnamese man, a force 9 air con 2 inches from his face and snoring he could hear over his ipod! The joys!

Along the way we've spoken to many fellow travellers from all over the globe. They have shared some of their experiences and offered some great advice. Especially 2 Aussie's who we met on route to Ninh Binh and are hoping to catch up with again down under!

Love to you all and speak soon.xxxxxxxxx

Ps Hope you are enjoying the snow! Weather here (Hoi An) is roasting it's about 36+ and not a cloud in the sky! Loving it!!!!!

pps Chop you can text its cool with my network just double check with yours mate. Can you send me Ben's email address please mate. Thanks.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb