Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
March 18th 2008
Published: March 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 16th March:
Took bike tour ofneighbouring traditional village today. Very interesting and lots of fun. Met local family and sat down with them for a chat ...of sorts. No-one could understand each other but still good.
Tried freshwater snails.
Monday 17th March:
Leave Hoi An for Marble mountain. Intricate marble carvings and impressive Buddhist pagoda. Very unique place with fantastic views of China beach. On to China beach where local girls tried to sell us stuff ad nausem..had to tell them to go away (in the nicest way possible of course)
Bus to Danang where we took another market walk before going to airport to wait for flight to Hanoi.
Arrived in Hanoi and booked in to hotel. Very busy city, seems harsher than the South but the difference is good. Took walk down to Ancient town restaurant and had a great meal. Met little girl and took photos of her with our girls 'Mai Ahn'...Took cyclos back to hotel "what a blast" hooning through Hanoi with our two crazy drivers was another highlight. Got ripped off for a few extra bucks it was worth it.

Tuesday 18th March:
Took city tour of Hanoi taking in the prison where they kept political prisoners early and then later US pilot shot down during the war.
Then went to HoChi Minh's palace and mauseleum for a look...security very tight here but extremely impressive.
Lunch was at Koto's...a not-for-profit restaurant run by ex street kids and other under-privelidged young people...similar to Jamie Oliver's 5 concept.
went to 'Water puppets' show in city centre...a traditional puppet show which has been going since the 1100's in some form or other...must be easily impressed.
Walk through city again happened across a bunch of little dancing girls in square...all told to go to the big tree and pee. Very funny sight to see. Saw a group of little boys doing dance/march all with cardboard rifles as props...couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 years old (start 'em young here in ultra conservative communist North)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb