Fightin Fish, Sunday Worship


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
June 19th 2005
Published: June 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

'Tis impossibly hot, I'm starved and don't wander far before I pass a traditional Vietnameese pho or noodle shop. An American is making conversation in English and Vietnameese with a young Vientnameese girl and a German guy is tryin to join the conversation.....The American, an expat called Gerry, invites me to sit down and another Vietnameese girl brings Breakfast; a delicious pho, beef and veg.

Afterwards myself and Tim, the German, explore the area around the Truc Bac lake. 'Tis hard going but there are few sights that amuse. There's a bunch of guys having a fish fight. They take fish from plastic bags dump them in to a glass jar and then shake the jar vigorously around. Money is exhanged and everyone concentrates on the jar.

We don't get much further without collapsing near the lake for a coke and then move on to the Tran Quoc Pagoda. It's no shorts allowed (lucky I brought a pair longs just in case) but Tim has to chance it. I snap Sunday worship, Hanoi style; old thin limbed men and women squatting on the temple ground alternately chanting to a monk in front of a golden image...

The evening sees me return to the Pho shop for Vietnameese style spring rolls...Gerrry happens to pass by on his motorbike and invites me to shoot pool with another ex pat, Justin from Australia.







Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb