Sapa, Mountains of Northwest Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
June 7th 2009
Published: June 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sapa was a hill station in the Northwest mountains that linked the surrounding hill tribe minorities to each other, but has since become a popular spot for tourists. Sapa sits next to and views Mount Fansipan, the highest peak in Vietnam. While the town itself completely revolves around tourism, its one of those places that is impossible to drain of its authenticity. It is very small and built into the side of the mountain, so views from almost anywhere are great. The surrounding areas are the most beautiful I have ever seen (more on the next post).


While having dinner one night, a Hmong (local hill tribe) girl came up and starting speaking to me in surprisingly good English. She and several other Hmong girls hang out and play pool at their friend’s restaurant, so I spent a couple of nights hanging out with them and some other travelers. These girls have absorbed so much from the tourists that one Hmong girl spoke English with a strong Australian accent including slang. They were a lot of fun and one of the girls offered to show me around the surrounding villages. She even cooked me lunch when we arrived at her friends’ house in one of the villages.


Sapa has been the highlight of Vietnam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb