The Magestic Countryside


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
March 28th 2007
Published: March 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post



bumpy road down to one of the villages from sapa

Water Buffalo

On the Trek

School Children
So we are currently in Sa Pa, at the end of our journey through the countryside. We took our overnight train, which took about 9 hours. We had hoped we would be lucky and have a 4-sleeper car to ourselves, but we shared it with two German women whom were harmless. The bathroom was fairly fascinating in that it was literally a hole in the train and no TP.

Upon arrival we were met by our driver and the four of us (Rach, myself and the Norwegian couple that we spent the trip with - Anette and JonErik) were taken from Lao Cai, where the train lets you off, up to Sa Pa. The ride was the most adventurous as all of the vans were transporting tourists up to the town and on a barely wide-enough two lane road trying to pass one another with very few spots of guard rails in addition to many motorbikes and local people walking along the side of the road.

From there we met our guide, May, we took a 30 minute jeep ride in a car that is reminiscent of a war jeep through very rocky roads and bumpy terrain. We
Chi and SuaChi and SuaChi and Sua

the girls we met on our hike
were let off and started our hike. Not even before we walked 20 feet, did two young girls, Chi and Sua who were 14, jump on the bandwagon with us and did our hike. Their English was decent (enough to hold a simple conversation) and they were so curious about us and our families. They stayed with us for the first two hours of our six hour hike and before they left for their village, they gifted us each with a headband made from ferns. Of course, before they left they made sure that we bought something from them "you buy from me?" So we did buy two wallets, each for 50,000 VND, which is equal to roughly $3.

To keep this brief, we eventually made it to our homestay which was quite lovely. We stayed with a family of 8 who were very hospitable and cooked us many meals that were excellent, over a very simple system of a burning fire. We took a walk to hot springs and freshened up as the weather has been (I think) unusually warm. We "showered" in the hot springs although no soap or shampoo was involved. Dinner was at six and by eight we were in bed. The bathroom here again was a hole in the ground in an outhouse and I learned pretty much how to take care of "everything."

The landscape is just stunning and I dont think the pictures do it justice. There are many different villages and in each one lives a different tribe. Many people have been friendly and in most cases have allowed us to take their pictures.

Overall, this has been an amazing experience and it is truly humbling to see how these people live in such a primitive lifestyle.

Fun facts:
1. The people here change/wash their clothes once every two weeks
2. Some only bath once a month - there is no running water
3. There is no medicine - a girl asked us if we had medicine for her acne
4. They don't use any sort of feminine protection when they have their period and just put on extra layers of pants
5. Babies do not wear diapers
6. Almost everyone wore plastic sandals or no shoes at all, even walking around the graveled paths and doing "construction"



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



28th March 2007

Wonderful
Thanks for the update. What you are doing is simply incredible and we are so happy you are enjoying everything. Seeing how people live in other parts of the world is such an invaluable education. Daddy and I are fine; the Komen Fundraising event was a great weekend with lots of money raised. But I am glad it is over. We head back to NJ this weekend and will miss both you and Rachel at the Seder table. Much love to you both, and keep the blog going; it's reassuring to know that you are both fine.
29th March 2007

so cute...I love the picture of the Vietnamese resting position...so true. And also the pee position on squat toilets! ha glad you guys liked this part of the trip, I did too.
30th March 2007

Hahaha! Al and I definitely remember the "tour guides" in China! Forgot to tell you about that one ;) Sounds like you two are having an amazing time. I love the pics and can't wait to see more! Keep having fun :)

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb