Misty But Spectacular


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
March 26th 2007
Published: March 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post


halong bayhalong bayhalong bay

the typical seascape

Serenity of Ha Long Bay

washing up?

diving into the cold halong bay
Hello all! We are back in Hanoi from our trip to Ha Long Bay. We did our trip through Handspan and tried to get onto the Dragon's Pearl "junk boat" but it was full so we did a little bit more pricey one and went on the Lagoon Explorer, which having not been on the Dragon's Pearl I still think it was better...only 4 rooms with 8 people versus 18 rooms with 30+ people...a lot more intimate and we met some great people...kiwis living in DC and an expat couple from the states living in Singapore with their 2 children. The trip to Ha Long Bay from Hanoi was 4 hours in a van. Not too bad and all along the way we saw just how poor this country is. Many families all live together in a very small home along the main side of the road and all selling the same thing...I think I saw literally 30 pineapple stands in a matter of a half a mile....I don't know who is buying this from them and there is no differentiation between them. It's quite sad but at the same time this is how they have been brought up and they don't know what else is out there...tvs are a rarity although do exist in a number of homes.

The weather has been warm-ish but overcast the entire time. On the bay it was quite misty and foggy but it definitely added charcter (or so I say since it wasn't sunny and I have to seem some positive)...but actually it really wasnt bad and the pictures came out gorgeous I think...the whole bay is made up of roughly 1,900 islands and each island rises high above the seascape, making it very magestic. We climbed through a cave...saw a fishing village...did a little hike and took a dip in the bay this morning. RAch didnt go but I ventured in with the 2 kids on our boat along with the kiwis. The food on the boat was great and in excess...they kept feeding us more and more food and i am totally surprised at how adventurous i was in what i ate...something called a sea mantis...we have pictures.

we are off to sapa tonight int he northwest part of vietnam very close to the china border. we take a 9 hour overnight train there...i am very excited to see sapa and the vilalges and the tribes that live there...very different than the hustle and bustle of the capital. we have packed small backpacks for our 2.5 days and left the majority of our stuff with the travel agent. i cant believe how little i have. i am nervous about the weather as it too is usually misty and foggy and rainy, but well manage. our home stay will definitely been an experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



27th March 2007

So glad you girls are having fun! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures verbally and see all the pics when you return to the states!!! Aren't you glad you went? Take full advantage of every opportunity!!! You probably won't be back in Vietnam again! Atleast not any time soon....... I miss you and love you Rach!!! xoxo

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb