Halong Bay in the mist…


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast
March 3rd 2014
Published: March 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Eerie!Eerie!Eerie!

Many boats 'parked' in the same sheltered spot overnight ... it was very eerie looking out at the twinkling lights and eerie mountains in the mist.
We wanted to take an overnight boat trip around the one of the ‘new 7 Natural Wonders’ – beautiful Halong Bay. However, the weather wasn't promising ... in Hanoi it rained or drizzled constantly for the 5 days we were there.

One day had a forecast of patches of sunshine, so we decided to take our chance and booked a boat trip. While it never got better than overcast, we were still pleased we went.

The scenery was almost eerie at times seeing the mountains shrouded in mist.

The boat we chose (Carina Cruises) was quite deluxe – very comfortable and each meal was about six courses!

The 18 passengers were quite an international bunch with six French people, four English, four American and Kaylene and I.

Kayaking around a floating village was a highlight ... we felt sorry for the children (and a dog or two) with only a few planks of wood outside their homes on which to play.

There was even a little school in one of the shacks floating on the water! What an isolated life and childhood, with only a few hundred tourists each day to gawk at.

We
Fun in the kayaksFun in the kayaksFun in the kayaks

We kayaked for about an hour and were free to go where we wanted around the floating fishing village. Kaylene and I, and some of the French tourists, risked taking our cameras on the kayak ... luckily none of us capsized.
were also herded like sheep (so many tourists do the same itinerary through the bay) through a large cave ... the best part was actually the view we got from having to climb lots of steps up into the cave.

I'm going back to Halong Bay later in my trip with Pete and Julie ... actually we're going to Bai Tu Long Bay which is another section and not as touristy ...

I'm hoping for much better weather so we can enjoy swimming and paddling. On this trip we never got out of our fleeces, so definitely no sunbathing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Floating village housesFloating village houses
Floating village houses

Such a basic simple life... impossible to imagine what it would be like living here so far from any other towns or people.
Hello Hello!Hello Hello!
Hello Hello!

You'd think the kids would see enough tourists with the thousands that visit Halong Bay. But they still came running out to wave at us.
Magnificent sceneryMagnificent scenery
Magnificent scenery

Being overcast, the scenery wasn't quite like the dramatic photos I'd seen before leaving home. But it is still a spectacular landscape.
Our BoatOur Boat
Our Boat

Nine cabins, each with ensuite + a dining room and sundeck. We opted for a mid range option - quite deluxe but not super luxury. It cost us about $165 each for the overnight trip including all meals.
Welcome drinksWelcome drinks
Welcome drinks

Pity the weather wasn't more welcoming! However, it was still warm enough at this point for us to stay up on deck chatting to the other passengers for an hour or so.
"Sun" Deck..."Sun" Deck...
"Sun" Deck...

This would be a lovely place to relax in the sunshine... unfortunately it wasn't to be.


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb