Hanoi to Halong Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
January 22nd 2011
Published: January 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We did not book anything prior to leaving Australia. This certainly had many advantages, however given that it was Christmas and everyone else was holidaying, it forced our hand when making some decisions. When you're in Hanoi - or Vietnam for that matter, a visit to Halong Bay is simply a 'must'. We booked the bulk of our holiday through Buffalo Tours - located in Ma May street in the Old Quarter. Strategically placed, this tour complany is directly across the street from Nola's Cafe. This is a great little cafe with very reasonable cocktails. A great watering spot and very quiet.
We wanted to spend 2 nights on Halong Bay, most of the tours are only single nights, however we really wanted to see the bay, so it was a two night stay.
The only vacancy for us at that time was aboard Paradise Cruises. We ended up on Paradise One (the boat name) in a twin cabin with a private balcony. The Cabins were beautifully appointed. The beds were made up with crisp white linen, and there were roses and orchids in the cabin. It had a comprehensive set of toiletries in the ensuite. The ensuite was comfortable with a full size shower, and plenty of hot water and water pressure.
We hadn't anticipated going 5 star, and this was much more than we have imagined, but it was worth every cent. Roughly speaking it cost about $700 with drinks an extra expense once on board. The bonus was that there was bottled water supplied to us every day.
We were picked up from the Opera House, on time, and whisked 3 hours via minivan up to Halong Bay. On our transport were another couple from Brisbane, a family from Sweden and a couple of young guys from Hong Kong.
Upon arrival at the reception area we were greeted with more hot towels, and a welcoming drink. We were then shown to our boat. We had been relieved of our bags and as we made our way to the dining room for the welcome reception we were showered with rose petals.
The cruise director delivered a thorough induction to the 25 of us aboard. We freshened up, then were treated to a buffet lunch. There was something for every palate, and drinks to accompany.
The Paradise Cruise company has only been active for about 2 years. They pride themselves on service and cater for the top end of the tourist market in Halong Bay (naturally that was us!) The days could be as busy or as relaxed as your chose. On board was a beauty therapist, jacuzzi and well stocked bar. Naturally we gave the cocktails a test out.
Dinner was 5 courses served to your table. This was after the managers reception on the top deck where we enjoyed rice wine cocktails and had a cooking class making spring rolls. After dinner there was a movie, one set in Halong Bay.
The following day we said goodbye to the overnighters, and those of us enjoying the two night option were transferred to the day boat where we set off for Cat Ba Island. We alighted at a small port in the middle of the national park end of the Island. We had the option of motor bike, or push bike, and set off for the 4km ride to the small villiage. If I did this again I'd take the motor bike option as the bikes were left over from the war, I'm sure. Pedalling up hill on a 30 year old bike with a hard seat on no gears was not all that much fun.
We spend some time in the villiage before heading back to the boat for lunch. This was traditional Vietnamese cuisine. Very light and very tasty.
Off for more kayaking in the bay, and exploring the little islands before being transferred back to the bigger boat at 4pm.
Dinner that night was just as beautiful, although the boat had about 8 Aussies on board that night, so we were a little noisier at the bar. Evening activity was sqidding with the crew from the back of the boat.
In the morning after an extensive buffet breakfast, we were transferred back to the mainland and bussed back to Hanoi.
Along the way the trip is broken with a toilet stop at a handicraft stop. Here you can purchase, and see being made all kinds of local hanidcrafts. The craftspeople are disabled - mostly as either a direct or indirect effect of the Vietnam War. Or as the local call it - the American War. These places are big and busy as most tours stop there, however the toilets are usually very clean, and western.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb