Sapa to Halong bay and beyond


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
April 16th 2010
Published: April 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were very lucky with the weather in Sapa-people had told us it would be cold , but in fact although hazy it was very warm and pretty hot when you started trekking . On our last day there we walked up the hill behind the town which is a park area and the gardens were very pretty and the views over the town excellent. If there had been less cloud and haze I think we would have had great views down the valley too ,but can't have it all-especially in the mountains.
As you know today was our wedding anniversary so we had a long late lunch at the Chapa Gardens restaurant ,as we knew that would be our last chance to eat anything decent before breakfast in Hanoi the following morning. The meal was great -a vietnamese banquet and we were set up for our trip down the country.
The journey back down to Lao Cai on the Chinese border for the train was interesting - about 12 of us crammed into a minibus without seat belts and a malfunctioning sliding door on the bus didn't make for a relaxing trip , and as we said earlier we weren't looking forward to the train journey back-however we were at least prepared for it . As it turned out after a couple of hours creaking (we were in the same carriage for the return) -the nooises stopped and we actually managed to sleep. Arrived to Hanoi just before 5.00 am in the rain , and the city was already bustling. Had an early breakfast at the hotel we'd stayed at previously and then the minibus from The Paloma Boat Company took us down to Halong Bay.That road too was dangerous -we saw at least 3 accidents on the way down ,but arrived unscathed. The scenery on the 4 hour drive was generally nondescript-factories , ribbons of unattractive industrial villages , and we had the obligatory 'shopping stop' at the halfway point .
Halong Bay when we arrived was splendid -as was the Paloma Cruise Ship-and we were upgraded with the cabin , so we had our own sunloungers and deck at the front of the boat (sorry dad-I know it's the stern!!). Moreover the murk lifted and the sun shone.
Now we have arrived in Hoi An-but I will leave you for now and in the next blog tell you more of Halong Bay , and upload some photos .
P.S.Tom-I did jump off the second deck , but unfortunately your mum missed iot with the camera-honest!!

Advertisement



16th April 2010

good
It's a place
17th April 2010

I am very smug
The trinity ball was last night and everyone is wrecked in bed and i am in the library! What can i say? still jealous of your trip. did you bu any of the photos from the shop? love you x
17th April 2010

Greetings from Morecambe
Hi Guys- sounds like you are having fun. Congrats on your anniversaire. I like the photo of the city traffic - you got the exposure just right to give the impression of speed blur - same as your staionary pics. Keep 'em coming. Ed

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb