Days 17-18 Halong Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
February 3rd 2009
Published: January 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Days 16-17

Halong Bay

On the morning of day 16 we travel to Bai Chay (approx. 3 hours) by public bus, board a chartered boat and embark on an overnight cruise through majestic Halong Bay, where 2,000 limestone peaks emerge dramatically from the sea (as seen on top gear with the floating bar/pub!). On the boat we visit spectacular caves, crammed with stalagmites and stalactites, as well as enjoy a scrumptious seafood feast on board. In warm weather, we can swim around the boat or even to nearby beaches.

On day 17 we arrive at the beautiful and relaxing Cat Ba Island for one night. The lovely foreshore is a great place to sip an evening beer and watch the sunset.

-----------

Arrived Ha long Bay about Midday to find a boat waiting for us fit for the richest of pirates, an amazing vessel!

Lunch was served pretty soon after we got on the boat and had a look around. The cabins were lovely with ensuite and everything. As for dinner it was definately a seafood feast set for a king, with huge prawns, squid, tofu, veg, meat, rice etc. YUMMY! Felt so full after, a bit like Christmas day and had to lay down on the top deck for a while lol.

Set sail into the limestone rocks and gazed at the amazing scenery from the top deck of our private boat. Leah visited a cave and Tim, Fachy and I basked in the sun on the deck surround by other boats.

We sailed for a little while and stopped at the tiny island called Titop. We walked to the top of the huge rock moutain which was very steep but the view was absolutly stunning. We went on the beach and paddled in the sea. By this time the fog had completely cleared. We boarded the boat again and set sail to where we were set ancor and spend the night.

We watched the sun desend and decided to take a dip in the blue sea. It was sooooooooo cold! It took your breath away. But so glad we did it. Got dry and it was time for dinner. Another seafood feast - was in heaven!

Again we were stuffed and headed to the top deck and gazed at the stars. We were surrounded by other boats and the lights all around us from others made it like a pirates heaven. Very magical.

We went to bed to find our room with even heated - wow!

-------

Had breakie on the boat - enough bread to feed the 5 thousand lol.

Arrived at Cat Ba Island about 9amish and Mr Hoi took us to our hotel (about 30mins drive in a mini bus). The hotel was over looking the fisihing habour, we had a gorgeous view from our room.

We walked along the front and looked around the local market. Then we headed to the beach where we had lunch. The beach was desserted and we had it to ourselves for the whole afternoon. Tim, Fachy and I went for a swim after lunch, was a lot warmer then yesterday. We dried off and played games on the beach and wrote in the sand.

Headed back to the hotel about 3pm covered in sanded and had a well needed shower.

Had a drink outside the hotel and got changed again as the fog was rolling in fast and it was getting cold. Earlier in the day Mr Hoi had offered us dinner at his friends house which we of course said yes to and he and his friends picked us up and drove us on motorbikes to his house. Here we had to drink sticky rice wine before eating anything and between each mouthful. Bearing in mind that this stuff was 45% proof and it took us like 4hours to get through the meal. Needless to say we were a bit worse for wear and then another guy, Mr Hung, who didnt speak english but was a legend invited us back to his house for beers.

We went back to the hotel and had another beer and went to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

-----------------

Got up a little worse for wear and had a well needed breakie. Got a public bus, which meant being accompied by chickens, to the speed boat which took us back to main land where we got a private mini bus to the chinese boarder.

The boarder crossing was a much nicer experience than the Laos/Vietnam crossing. A lot quieter and the Friendship gate was magnificant.

Got in a car, 6 of us, quite cramped and drove to Butterfly valley in the middle of no where.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb