Viet Nam - Day 9


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
April 4th 2006
Published: May 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Went on the Perfume River boat tour. Stopped at Thien Mu Pagoda, and three major mausoleums of past kings—Tu Duc, Kai Dinh, and Minh Mang. The kings built their mausoleums when they were still alive and used them as retreats. Also stopped at Hon Chen Temple. Lunch on the boat (better than the last boat lunch, but not great). Got back to Hue and walked over to the other side of the river. We tried to find a couple small pagodas, then crossed to the moat into the Citadel. A cyclo driver offered to take us around the Citadel, so we hopped in and went on a leisurely one-hour circuit tour. He dropped us off where we started and we headed to a bia hoi place nearby. There were a couple of Vietnamese guys drinking at the next table, and one of them started talking to us. He was a cyclo driver named Tran (if anyone is ever in Hue, we have his card). Very nice guy. We ended up having a few rounds with him and his buddy. Tran’s father was killed in the war and Tran served in the army and fought in Cambodia against the Khmer Rouge. He ended up giving us a ride back to our hotel. While Todd was buying the plane tickets to Hanoi from the owner of Phu An Hotel, they were talking about the US. Turns out, her brother owns a restaurant in Atlanta—Saigon No. 1. Todd told her we’d definitely pay him a visit when we get back to Atlanta. He got the camera and took pictures of her and her father to show her brother in Atlanta. The world gets smaller once again. Had dinner at Co Do, stir-fried morning glory and beef stir-fried with lemongrass and chili.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



30th May 2006

wonderful
Thanks agian for sharing the images of your adventures with me. The purple city is beautiful! What's up with the size of their musical instruments? Hope you had a chance to hear the drum. Too bad I didn't get the blog earlier. I was in Atlanta and could have gone by the restaruant you mentioned. Any chance you could bring som of those stir fried morning glories back to NOLA?
2nd June 2006

Hi
Hi Guys! The pictures are beautiful and I miss you both. I'm so glad you guys are having a beautiful time. Fe, I met a woman named Julie? from New Orleans. She works with a DV organizations and says she is on the board with you. Small world.....She says hi. When are you all headed back? No rush, just curious =). Love, Son Ah
9th June 2006

Hello there
Just read my private mails (after 3 month) and look what I found! How are you???? Presumingly more than good ..... Can't you send me an e-mail whenever you are home. I've lost your adress ! Big hugs Astrid

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0913s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb