Viet Nam - Day 10


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Quang Tri » Dong Ha
April 5th 2006
Published: June 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Went on a DMZ Tour by bus from Hue. Very long bus ride, crossed over the 17th Parallel into the former North Vietnam. Stopped for pictures. The Vinh Moc Tunnels were really cool. These tunnels were used by villagers (not VC) in the area to live in and hide from the bombings. The tour guide said that 17 babies were born during this time. Each family of 4 had a little nook for their room that was about 3 feet wide and 4 feet deep. Unlike the Cu Chi tunnels these were quite big and easy to maneuver (though they had been expanded to accommodate large Western tourists). The tunnels escape route leads right onto the beach. Passed the Doc Mieu Firebase and stopped to take pictures of the “Rockpile,” a large hill used by US Marines as a communications station. The hills in the area were green, but mostly devoid of large trees, since nothing would grow for so many years after the dumping of so many defoliants. Stopped to see a section of the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Ended the DMZ tour at Khe Sanh, site of another US base and a major assault on US Marines. It was a very long, hot bus ride back to Hue. Got a beer at B4 Bar and then had dinner at La Carambole, more traditional foods from Hue.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



13th June 2006

hi guys
wow, amazing pix. I miss you!!!

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb