Hue (too humid)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
August 14th 2007
Published: May 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hue pronounced "whey", is only 4 hours travel from Hoi An. We arrived early evening and checked into a cheap hotel called Bao Minh ($10) which is off Le Loi Street and nice and quiet :-)

We had a bit of a look around and stopped for a tasty bite to eat washed down with a few bottles of local beer, Hue and Festival, at a restaurant called Little Italy. Afterwards, we were lucky enough to nab a corner spot outside the Why Not bar and had a few more beers... hic :-) whilst chilling and watching the world go by :-) I can't believe I'm still drinking beer! I did try a bottle of Dalat wine the other night but I felt so bad the next day that I'm steering clear of wine from now on. I'm sure I'll change my mind once we get back to Manly though :-)


The next day we visited the Citadel which has a 10km perimeter and kept us busy for quite a few hours. There are many different buildings and ecnlosures within the Citadel walls, each with an interesting history/story to learn.


Whilst wandering around we bumped into some Aussie friends from Hoi An. This seems to happen a lot over here as everyone follows a similar route through the countries. We recently met a girl in Nha Trang, Vietnam, who we had previously met in Ko Chang, Thailand, 3 weeks earlier and 1000 miles apart!



It was sooo humid whilst we were in Hue. There was absolutely no breeze for most of the day and everyone had that glazed with sweat look. On one of the many rest breaks we took in the Citadel, Chad left the camera behind. I noticed it was missing about 10 - 15 minutes later so we frantically ran back to the spot. Luckily we found the camera but running in this weather is definately not recommended, it doesn't leave you with a good look :-)


We recovered at Tinh Tam Lake (I got excited about this as thought there may be Tim Tams) on the little island where the emporers used to come to relax. It's a bit off the tourist trail so we were the only foreigners there. It was nice to chill watching the locals fishing and a few children trying to fly a kite which involved running up and down as there was no wind. Where do they get the energy from in this heat!


We caught a cyclo (a bike with seat on the front) around the city and back to our hotel. It's a fun way to travel even if it is accompanied with my squeals as cars and motorbikes nearly hit us :-)

Our short stay in Hue was nice and we treated ourselves to some lovely meals, the benefit of staying in a cheaper hotel :-)

Next is another overnight bus trip to the capital of Vietnam, Hanoi




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb