Hoi An, not just a place for clothes


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
August 5th 2007
Published: May 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post


Hoi An isn't just for clothes, we've found it a perfect spot to take some time out to soak up an enchanting part of Vietnam. We've taken relaxing strolls around the old town which is a world heritage site so it retains a sense of history and charm. Sipping Ca Phe Phin (Vietnamese coffee) and nibbling on the delicious french inspired desserts isn't a difficult way to while away the day.

We hired Vietnamese bikes and cycled 4km to Cua Dai Beach, a gorgeous 30km stretch of golden sand and clear blue water that was deserted. Sharon was a bit unsure on the bike at first but she got better. The guy who rented out his bikes gave a concerned look when she slowly wobbled away! :-)

We took part in a great cooking course (Red Bridge Cooking Class), the cooking part wasn't really that intense but we had a brilliant day. It started off with a guided trip to the local market where we watched farmers and fishermen selling their fresh produce, then we took a cruise down the river to a beautifully set restaurant on the waterfront. We learnt how to make 3 or 4 local dishes as well as some decorative touches to make it all look pretty. The teacher was an absolutely hilarious chef, he had a very dry sense of humour and an accent like a Vietnamese Borat. He had us in stitches so many times. I must say, my cooking expertise far surpassed Sharon's on the day, she had a shocker. For example, she flipped her rice pancake straight from the pan onto the gas stove where it instantly burst into flames... whoops :-) though her tomato skin rose looked a lot more like a flower than my effort :-)

After the lessons the whole class had lunch together enjoying the dishes we had learnt to cook but which were prepared by the restaurant staff (thank god, I didn't fancy eating Sharon's efforts). We then took a cruise back to Hoi An Town where a few of us finished up with mouth watering desserts from a great patisserie (The Cargo Club).

As was mentiond in our previous journal, we are staying at the Green Field Hotel. This place has turned out to be a great place to mix with fellow travellers and we have made some wonderful friends, the free happy hour cocktails brings like minded people together ... hic :-)

Next stop Hue.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb