Motorbikes in Hue


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
March 17th 2006
Published: March 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I immediately found my bearings in Hue since I was there for a week last February. We would not stay int he posh hotel like last time, but the hostel scene is more fun anyway!!

We wish we had more time!! We could spend another month in Vietnam and the area around Hue is one place where I could easily return to explore again. Unfortunately we only have a week left at this point and we still have not gone to Hanoi and further north. Forced to choose between Hue and North of Hanoi we opted for the latter. Still, we made the most of our 24 hours in Hue and took a motorbike tour to the major sites within the city and in the surrounding countryside.

We met Tuu at the restaurant where we ate dinner on the fist night. He spoke with us about a motorbike ride and showed us his book of previous satisfied customers. Convinced it would be a good use of our time we signed up and eagerly awaited the next day. He and his friend Vic picked us up the next morning and along with an American, Cheryl and her driver, we set out for the day.

We rode through the countryside for a hour or so, through rice paddies and tiny villages. Apparently March 17th is deemed a lucky day by the fortune-tellers because we passed 3 or 4 weddings throughout the day! Looks like fun! Our first stop was at a bridge build in the early 1600's by a family who inherited money and wanted to give back to the community. It is also a religious site where many pray and give thanks for the good rice yields of the region. Beautiful and offers great views of the surrounding rice fields. It is still used frequently by the people in these parts even though a new bridge has been built.

Next we went to a temple where monks dedicate thier lives to buddhism. Many decide in chilhood that they want to practice and so they go live and breathe the practices. They wear different colours depending on their rank and also shave their heads in different places depending on how far along they are in their education. The site is stunning, set in a lush forest with ponds and gardens and bamboo worship sites. We watched a prayer ceremony as well.

Next we visited the Masoleum of the 4th king of Vietnam. He built a huge complex while he was still alive and dedicated different parts of it to himself, his wife and his mother. all 3 are burried there and the extensive gounds also served as a cultural (dance, theatre) base for his people. It was aplace of relation and serenity for the community around Hue during his reign.

The smell of insense was in the air on the way to our next stop. And no wonder because it lined the streets for drying out. Mmmmmm, my favourite is the cinnamon. We watched how it is rolled on the sticks and the women also showed us how they chonicles are made.

Afterward we stopped at a war site. The bunkers used by the Borth Vietnamese to overlook the Perfume River. What is today an amazing view of the river and surrounding moutains must have offered quite a different perspective only a couple decades ago.

Pagoda time!! A beautiful Pagoda in Hue, of the hundreds. We stopped briefly to admire the bulding as much as the view. Vietnam is stunning...the pictures do not do it justice. You must all go to Vietnam in your lifetimes!!

Back at our hotel we said goodbye to Tuu and his friends and had just enough time for lucn with Cheryl before getting the overnight train to Hanoi. Fed up with the busses for the overnight and in need of a good sleep we decided on the train. We were rewarded with cushy beds and a cute Vietnamese couple who shared our cabin. The train rocked me to sleep quickly, the best sleep in a long time!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb