Will retrack-Hue to Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
January 31st 2006
Published: January 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vinh Moc TunnelsVinh Moc TunnelsVinh Moc Tunnels

As you can see not much space to sling a cat.
As my last entry was not very informative I will retrack.
After our 12 hr bus journey which was awful but met great people we went on the DMZ tour. DMZ being demilitarised zone near Hue. This was the North-South Vietnam border. We had an amuzing guide who took us to different sites expaining the history of Vietnam and their wars ( which was actually interesting). Our guide made jokes like 'watch out for the land mines!!! ...oh sorry its a cow pat!' . After nearly dying of heart failure we realised it was not going to be like a usual tour. At the end of the trip we went to the Vinh Moc tunnels. The locals built these tunnels to avoid American bombings. At some places only 1.5m high ( so even I was too short...wow!)-500 poeple lived in 2.8m underground. Was funny seeing the 6 footer guys trying to get through!!
We then got dropped in Hue were we spent the night. Tried some local wine- only 70p a glass...and tasted like it...but hadnt had wine for over a week!!
The next morning we got the bus to Hoi An for the New Years Eve celebrations -" Chuc Mung
Chinese dragonChinese dragonChinese dragon

New Year Procession
Nam Moi "- Happy New Year. A bit of a mouthful but everyone saying it hear so we can now say too!-our first bit of Vietnamese!
As you probably realised that night was a bit of a drunken one but the best night ever. Ill let the photos tell the story ... but i apologise you probabaly had to be there!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mr PhoMr Pho
Mr Pho

This is Iain, Tom and Mark with Mr Pho. He invited us into his art shop for celebrations!
Iain with 'Ming' Iain with 'Ming'
Iain with 'Ming'

We didnt really know his name but he was a happy bloke. Part of the procession.
Beautiful MarkBeautiful Mark
Beautiful Mark

Need i say more!
TomTom
Tom

Kinda sums up the night really!
Tim and JimmyTim and Jimmy
Tim and Jimmy

The aussie guys. Dont worry mum I didnt go on the motorbike! All these guys are heading down Vietnam so will be bumping into them again.


31st January 2006

tasty bit crumpet!!
i see your doing well then!;-)all sounds great fun!and you still don't look to weathered, make up in tact!you did always seem to go for thr foreign type!it's a cheery start to the morning, reading ur entries! ellie xx
2nd February 2006

Hi Ellie
He wasnt foreign he was from Bristol!!!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb