Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
August 17th 2007
Published: August 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took a day trip to the mekong delta from HCMC. It was arefreshing change to have an enthusiastic guide, who spoke good English, and to only pay the price LISTED on the wall...ahhh.

The bus ride out to Mekong City was filled with factual information from our guide. We arrived and clambered onto very small, very worn old wooden boats. The water is a filthy brown, due to running through a number of countries before meeting the sea in Vietnam. People seem to have very little respect or care for the water. It was quite common to see floating rubbish or locals emptying bins out of open doors into the river.

We visited 2 of the 5 islands in the delta. We saw a local honey farm, held a snake, sampled local teas fruits and listened to traditional music.

On the second island we went to a coconut sweet factory. All family members helped through the laborious duties to produce some fine tasting sweets!

The day ended with a long cruise past water houses and a market. The houses are no more than shacks, constructed of debris and scrap corrugated iron, but everyone has a television aerial!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb