Proposal in Halong Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Vinh Long
October 13th 2013
Published: October 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We were supposed to wake early and take part in Thai Chi demonstration but as I'd got to bed late we missed the time so we had a nice cooked breakfast, strong coffee and headed to a cave. The cave featured many rocks that looked to be in the shape of certain things e.g. King Kong, a turtle and other things. We explored the cave and the Vietnamese people found us quite fascinating... Especially the Louise and Corinne. After that we boarded the boat and headed for the Pearl Farm. It was interesting to learn how pearls are produced. The peals are implanted into an oyster and left for a period of months or years to so that the contents of the oyster cover the pearl. What starts out as a plain white ball ends up as a pearl. Only 30% of all those implanted produce a pearl and out of that only 10% produce a perfect pearl.

When we got back to the boat we did some Thai Chi for 30 mins with an instructor. We then did some more Kayaking and rowed through a bat cave. We could hear the bats really close by above our heads and there 1000's in there. It was really peaceful rowing through various caves and then went back to the boat. After we got to the boat we did some more sunbathing and then got ready for the surprise dinner.

Tony told Louise that Corrine had arranged a surprise dinner in the cave and she was really excited. We got some champagne and made our way by a smaller boat to a lit entrance in the rocks. When we got to the cave there was a number of staff to greet us. Probably around 10 staff who had all dressed up for the occasion were thee to greet us. It was very slippery at the entrance so we had to be careful walking in. The staff welcomed us into the cave, including the cruise company manager who had made a special trip by private boat from the mainland to present us some gifts which later turned out to be some beautiful silk table runners. She said that Louise was a very lucky lady.

Neither me or Louise expected such a grand entrance. There were 100's of candles all over the cave, music was playing in the background and the main walkway into the cave zigzagged for about the length of half of a football pitch was lit either side by candles. We were both emotional walking up, at least I had half an idea of what was going to happen but the staff did such a spectacular job of making it look perfect that I was speechless.

As we looked to the end of the walkway we could see a table for two people all on its own. There were candles arranged in the shape of a heart and a beautiful sprays of flowers everywhere.

The chef bought the courses of food and left us alone to dine between each course. Louise was already on the verge of tears as she was so overwhelmed. The food was amazing and we had various courses of fish dishes and after the main course we were left alone some more. At that point I told Louise how I'd told her Dad that I'd chartered for the boat trip just for the us and she couldn't believe it. I then told her I'd arranged for the dinner in the cave and she was in tears (of happiness and sheer shock) I then walked around to her side of the table, got down on one knee and proposed, I was also quite emotional and couldn't believe it. We were left alone for some time to take it all in before having desert and then going back to the boat. Louise said it was far beyond anything she could ever have imagined possible and were both very happy.

We transferred back to the boat and contacted various members of family before having another bottle of champagne and celebrating with some drinks on the top deck.

The idea was all mine but the staff at indochina sails and those aboard the valentine made this the most amazing moment of our lives and went far beyond anything I'd expected. I couldn't thank them enough for making it as a special as I wanted it to be.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb