mekonk delta!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Vinh Long
November 5th 2008
Published: November 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

ok still behind on this blog and allot has gone off since so here's how it went as far as i remember! after leaving hanoi took a sleeper train to hue weather was great in the north and is good in the south but central vietnam was blighted by rain even some flooding here which spoilt my plans of hopping down the coast i did the dmz tour which was very interesting dmz stands for de militerized zone they took us to the see tunnels the locals and north vietnamese used during the bombing and other sites of interest the guide was exellent jalthough it rained all day took a bike out the folowing day for a tour of the city which was nice although it rained most of the day the following day i took the sleeper train to saigon 18 hours with vietnamese guy although he was very friendly didnt speak a word of english well i am in vietnam going to have to make more of an effort!
saigon wasnt as busy as hanoi although i was expecting it to be or maybe it just seemed that way because the streets are allot wider here i toured the city on a bike and visited the war museum which was very disturbing but glad i went deffinatly a must see i meet up with a guy i met on the dmz tour that night and go in search of more cheap beer! although saigon is an easyer city alround a much prefer hanoi i think it has allot more charecter the following morning i head for vinh long in the mekong delta.
i get the bus and after a couple of hours the driver tells me im at my destination not exectly where i was expecting to be dropped as the book says the bus station is in the center and i seem to be in the middle of nowhere! this happens quite allot! after an hour walking i reach the harbour im told here's a good place to book a homestay so i arrange one and after a short ferry ride and a moto ride i arrive at the homestay which was good but tecnically not a homestay as later that evening a group of about 20! turned up dont think they cook for many lone travelers here as when they served me dinner they serve up a banquet! i polish it all of just to be polite some of the people in the big group i met at the airport in kl this happens quite allot the following morning i head off for a look round the village i have some pho (noodle soup)with the locals which they all find very amusing dont think they get many visitors and a haircut and cutthroat shave which also draws a large crowd 5000 dong for the pho and 10000 for the haircut which works out about 55p in total which is a breath of freshair since most touristed places overcharge quite allot i then head for can tho via two moto's two ferrys and a bus can tho apparently has the biggest floating market in the mekong so i arrange for a boat to to see the markets which is an 8hour trip just me and the driver the markets were good but watching the people living and working by the river was the highlight for me the next morning i head for chau doc when i get there i hire a moto driver for the day and go to see the temple where an khemer rouge atrocity occured which was pretty grim there was also a large pile of sculls and bones behind some glass to give some idea of the scale of this attrocity the road about a mile from the temple was the highlight of the day and one of the best views i've ever seen we also go to siam mountain for the sunset which was amazing and well worth the trip out also very quiet next blog cambodia going to have to put more effort into these blogs been in laos 6 days now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



15th November 2008

lovely post
What an adventure! I love your blog post, although it is hard to find a point and seems no comma in it :=) Enjoy your travel!
17th November 2008

Hi Martin just read all your blogs up at your dads, glad to see that you are getting about and seeing some very interesting places, that cheap beer sounds o k but not sure about the cut throat shave take care and enjoy.
22nd November 2008

hiya bruv
you look well travelled now, wonder if it has changed you? i think im going to see a more worldly wiser brother. we cant wait to hear all about your adventures in person, looking forward to seeing you soon. great read, and brill snaps love from max n costa xxxxxxxxx
1st December 2008

hey wot amazing photo's bet seeing the sea tunnels was fab id av loved that! were really glad ya seem to be having a great time !

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb