Are We Beach People?


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Kien Giang » Phu Quoc Island
January 15th 2012
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 10.3041, 103.997

It would be hard to classify Phu Quoc Island as an 'undiscovered' beach paradise but it was not so long ago, that it really was that. Now there is a fair amount of development taking place but its still a long way away from comparisons with Hawaii- just what we were looking for as a place to rest before leaving Vietnam and tackling Cambodia. We are not beach people (apologies to Christine L) but we've been traveling hard the last couple of weeks and the recipe seemed simple enough:

Wake early enough to claim primo beach chairs by leaving a book and towel on them.

Go for breakfast at the resort restaurant (it's included afterall).

Return to chairs- me in shade, DH in sun.

Rotate a couple of times all the while basting liberally- me in liquid SPF 90, DH with something less sun-proof.

Back to the restaurant for lunch and a fruit smoothie (we're too lazy to walk anywhere else afterall).

Return to chairs for afternoon baking, and contemplation of the meaning of life.

Take copious amounts of sunset photos (which all look remarkably similar).

When sun is no longer present, wander down the beach in search of a restaurant that serves quality drinks- me a very masculine & large beer, DH something with cherries & umbrellas.

We repeated the whole process for three consequetive days and would have been more than ready for Cambodia had it not been for the beds at the resort. There are blocks of concrete with more give and comfort than these petrified mattresses and pillows. Because of the beds, it was much easy to get DH to agree to leave this paradise (I'm sure they're still trying to fix the door frames she damaged with a vice-like grip as I tried to pull her away from that resort in Maui). We actually met an older British couple that were going to be staying at the Phu Quoc resort for 6 weeks- they must have brought their own blow-up beds.

We really enjoyed our time in Vietnam but with luck our next post will see us in Cambodia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



26th January 2012

A mermaid of course!
27th January 2012

Ahhhhhh!
28th January 2012

Paddles UP!
6th February 2012

Now we're talking my language
6th February 2012

Post card material.That is an absolutely beautiful shot.
6th February 2012

Quick question.... are any of these boats ski boats???Just wondering on the possiblities.
28th February 2012

You're right, I wouldn't normally go near it...but it would depend on the size of the engine and how much noise it can produce.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb