The Much Awaited Phu Quoc Island


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Kien Giang » Phu Quoc Island
January 8th 2011
Published: January 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Plane to Phu QuocPlane to Phu QuocPlane to Phu Quoc

We were expert flyers by the time this trip was over. After flights 7 & 8 (Siem Reap to Saigon, then Saigon to Phu Quoc), we arrived on beautiful Phu Quoc island. Check out all of our tickets :)
We were sad to leave Siem Reap but very excited for our next stop: Phu Quoc Island. This was the last destination of our trip and we stayed for a full four days to relax a bit before heading back to the States. We wish we could have stayed longer! It is a beautiful island that is extremely undeveloped so you don't see the highrises typical of beach resorts. The beaches are pristine and we enjoyed touring around on our moped and enjoying the sunsets with our Bah Bah Bahs (333 a local beer made in Vietnam)

We got to visit a pearl farm and meet Baboo, the cutest monkey in the world...but don't worry, I didn't buy any pearls even though I was very tempted. We had some great fresh fish meals on the beach and played about 1000 games of backgammon. It was a perfect place to unwind after a bit of a whirlwind trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Jeff Arrives La VerrandaJeff Arrives La Verranda
Jeff Arrives La Verranda

The resort where we stayed was beautiful. Right on the beach and all of the rooms were sort of built into the jungle just beyond the sand. Jeff was excited to arrive
Day 1 SunsetDay 1 Sunset
Day 1 Sunset

The sunsets on Phu Quoc were really amazing and we didn't waste any time getting out there to see one. We enjoyed our first sunset at a beachfront restaurant over our some fresh fish and Saigon beer all for the low price of 200,000 dong....which is about $10. NICE!
Early Morning WalkEarly Morning Walk
Early Morning Walk

We woke up each morning and took a long walk on the beach before eating some breakfast.
Nice SceneryNice Scenery
Nice Scenery

Jeff loved to take pictures of these little boats so you'll see them a lot in the coming pictures :)
Out and About On the Moped Amidst CowsOut and About On the Moped Amidst Cows
Out and About On the Moped Amidst Cows

Our first moped ride was a little rough 'cause there aren't many paved roads on the island and it was dusty (hence my mask). Plus, my butt fell asleep from all the bumps along the way. We set out to find a deserted beach but couldn't find it 'cause streets actually looked like driveways to us and we had no idea where to turn.
Taking a break...Taking a break...
Taking a break...

We took a little break along Long Beach, which is about 30 minutes north of the hotel. Not a soul in site for miles which is pretty cool
And we're back on the moped...And we're back on the moped...
And we're back on the moped...

We gave up finding the beach on the other side of the island and decided to head back to the hotel
Baboo at the Pearl Farm!Baboo at the Pearl Farm!
Baboo at the Pearl Farm!

On our way back to the hotel, we stopped at a pearl farm owned by this cool Australian guy, Grant. He has a little bar so people can get a little tipsy before checking out some pearls. Not a bad business plan.
Couldn't Get Enough of BabooCouldn't Get Enough of Baboo
Couldn't Get Enough of Baboo

We stayed at this place for hours. We met a great couple from Australia and Grant cooked food for us. We even stayed long enough to order a late night pizza for delivery. Yep, pizza delivery exists on Phu Quoc which is pretty funny.
Baboo!Baboo!
Baboo!

You're going to see a lot of pictures of this little guy.
Baboo goes down my shirtBaboo goes down my shirt
Baboo goes down my shirt

I guess this is why they call monkeys cheeky. There Baboo goes down my shirt. I didn't know what the heck was going on.
Flirting with the CrowdsFlirting with the Crowds
Flirting with the Crowds

He kept hiding in my shirt and poking his head out to flirt with Shannon, the girl from Australia.
Baboo SleepingBaboo Sleeping
Baboo Sleeping

I mean...so cute. I could have stayed forever
Jeff and Baboo Take 3Jeff and Baboo Take 3
Jeff and Baboo Take 3

I think he likes girls better...but there he goes again, right down the back of Jeff's shirt.
Day 2 Sunset at the Pearl FarmDay 2 Sunset at the Pearl Farm
Day 2 Sunset at the Pearl Farm

We enjoyed our 2nd sunset at the Pearl Farm with our new Australian friends and ice cold Bah Bah Bahs in coozies! Ice cold beer was hard to come by in Vietnam so they went down easy.
My new friend SharonMy new friend Sharon
My new friend Sharon

After spending 10 days just the two of us, meeting Sharon and Paul was a welcome distraction :)
Jeff's new friend PaulJeff's new friend Paul
Jeff's new friend Paul

AND here's Paul


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb