Good Morning Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » An Giang » Chau Doc
March 7th 2009
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 8
Well, we woke up still in Cambodia and some of us (including myself) woke up with some dandy sunburns. I was surprised mine was as bad as it was as I had SPF 30 and wasn't directly in the sun for more than 2 hours total. Ok, really I do know it must be because the sun is super strong here.
We boarded our bus and headed to the Cambodia/Vietnam border. It was much more calmer and slightly more surreal than our crossing from Thailand into Cambodia. We were the only people in line and we each took a turn to walk into a small hut while an older gentleman slowly and thoroughly stamped our passports in between taking phone calls on his cell phone. That was just to exit Cambodia. In Vietnam, we handed our passports over to the guard. He then carried them and walked us over to a seating area while we waited to be approved. I must say that these border crossings would have been far more intimidating without the group and without our guide. The whole process took about an hour and that was without any other people.
Although a short ride from the border to the town of Chau Doc on the Mekong River, it was very bumpy and I thought I got some car sickness (but still no loss of bodily fluids). Chau Doc itself seemed like not much to see but we only had an afternoon to do it so that was fine. About 9 of us opted to take a boat tour on a small longtail boat. This was a really cool experience. We stopped at a fish farm along the way and saw a feeding frenzy! I thought the fish at Canadas Wonderland were bad when you threw food in for them but these guys created major waves. I have a video of the expeirence. We also stopped at some small huts to meet some locals. While there it started to pour rain so we hid under one of the huts and watched some young children play a mean version of rock, paper, scissors. Mean because the winner got to slap the loser! The people in Chau Doc were super friendly.
Dinner was at a very local dining spot and we had to fend off small flies from landing everywhere and anywhere. I once again had fish (another port town) but this time it was cooked in a clay pot (common mode of cooking here) and it was FANTASTIC! So tasty! I will likely come home with some additional pounds if we continue to have such good finds. I didn't note the name of this small place though but highly recommend it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb