On the Road (Nha Trang to Hoi An)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands
May 14th 2007
Published: May 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

FungusFungusFungus

Just thought this would be a cool picture to start this entry of the blog. It a fungul growth on a fallen tree near the waterfalls.

On the Road (Nha Trang to Hoi An)

 Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands By Ruairi
May 14th 2007
Ruairi Molloy
Well the following explanation will be short and sweet, cause I have alot of pictures to upload. I will stick plenty of info in the explanation bits for each one. After having such a good time with Dong on the river tour, and realising he was so genuine, we decided to take a highlands tour with him North up the country. We are now just over halfway through that tour, and heres what we have seen .....

thanks again for all the comments !


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Vietnamese BricksVietnamese Bricks
Vietnamese Bricks

This is how they make brick in Vietnam today, its all labour intensive. The only machines used are those fr pushing out the clay. It costs $12 US for 1000 bricks.
Agent OrangeAgent Orange
Agent Orange

During the Vietnam war, the Americans used chemical agents to kill the tree growth around their supply routes, to help against VC attacks. They also used it as a weapon to kill any VC in the area. They sprayed over 70,000 hectares of land. The biggest proble was lng after the war, those infected who did not die (often civilians) ended up having severly deformed babies due to the chemicals. Today noting grows there, only grass !...... but the Aussies have helped by sending over Eucalyptis trees, (being a tree which will pretty much grow anywhere) and they are in the process of regrowing. The area used to be dense jungle, like that in the far bakground.
PoserPoser
Poser

This guy was a bit of a poser for the Camera.
Up in the HighlandsUp in the Highlands
Up in the Highlands

The weather was so much cooler up in the mountaind, also a bit wet. The clouds felt real close, you could almost touch them !
Rush HourRush Hour
Rush Hour

livestock rules the road !
Boy RacerBoy Racer
Boy Racer

How about drivin up and down Main Street Arklow on this bad boy ! Rock up outside the Church and park it ! Better than some souped up fiesta !
More PIGS !More PIGS !
More PIGS !

Poor bastards !
Village DanceVillage Dance
Village Dance

We stayed a night near a Minority Village. We went to see the M'Nong People do their traditional tribal dancing and stuff ......
Skull Skull Skull !Skull Skull Skull !
Skull Skull Skull !

We took part in the tribal celebrations by drnking (suckin)the traditional wine. I cannot desribe how bloody awful it tasted. Even Peter Whelan would not drink it (and you know yourself Whelan, youd drink off a scabby leg !) Drinkin it was pure torture. I'd sooner again drink my own urine !
Lillys !Lillys !
Lillys !

We stayed in a guest hose near the Jun Village. The place was a $hithole, we had rats in the room, the gecko's were fine company at night, but the rats $hit all over the place. This pic was taken from our 'floating cafe/restaurant' next to our rooms. The guesthuse was beside this lake.
All AboardAll Aboard
All Aboard

Well we went Elephant trecking around a nearby lake. At first we felt bad sitting on the poor bastards back, but due to the fact that he can barely feel us .... we felt better about it !
On the Way to the lakeOn the Way to the lake
On the Way to the lake

The ride was rally good , kinda freaky at first, but we got used to it ! It was amazing how well trained they are.
In the middle of the lakeIn the middle of the lake
In the middle of the lake

took this of an elephant going in the opposite direction, just to give you an idea of what our elephant was doing !
Dray Sap WaterfallsDray Sap Waterfalls
Dray Sap Waterfalls

We trecked to a few waterfalls.
Bridge !Bridge !
Bridge !

We crosed a few suspention bridges along the way !
Pepercorn KidsPepercorn Kids
Pepercorn Kids

When we visited the Pepercorn Plantations, we were followed by the local kids.
Big RoofBig Roof
Big Roof

When we visited another Minority Village (the Bhana People) we got to see a traditional community centre. The roof is tall and in the shape of an Axe head, to symbolise their working in the jungle.
StairsStairs
Stairs

Tese are the steps up into the tall house.
Rubber PlantationRubber Plantation
Rubber Plantation

Rubber trees were introduced to Vietnam. Now its amont their exports !
Collecting the RubberCollecting the Rubber
Collecting the Rubber

How the rubber is collected from the trees.
On the rocks !On the rocks !
On the rocks !

Sine breaking my leg, i have become way too cautious when climbin along rocks. I used to (well used to think) i was as nimble as a goat !
Near the Laos BorderNear the Laos Border
Near the Laos Border

I took this near the Laos Border. The actual border is over the hills on the other side of the River. About a days treck.


14th May 2007

Was That You On The News Trying To Dispose Of THe Dead Stripper??!! :o)
Keep up the bloggin' man...reeeeeeeeeal cool stuff. Wish I was there :o( give Laz my best! Hope you enjoy the rest of it man... M.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb