Moving on up


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Lam Dong » Da Lat
May 29th 2007
Published: May 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We realised that we had been in Ho Chi Minh for over a week so thought we'd better move up north (we have a 30 day visa). Next stop - Da Lat. Da Lat is a former (French) colonial mountain retreat.

We left Ho Chi Minh on the bus around 8.30am. We were told that the journey would take 5 hours. 1.30pm passed asnd we saw that we had over 100km to go! The journey actually took 8 hours in the end, I really don't know why, it was not like we were delayed (although we were stopped by the police for some reason). Coming up here reminded me a little of when we went to the Cameron Highlands - although Da Lat is a much bigger town. It is cooler here, a nice respite from the hot weather!

There are tours to do here but with our recent history, we decided not to do that and hire a moped for the day instead. Only 3 pounds for the day so worth it. There is not much to do in the town itself but it is a nice place, with a man-made lake in the middle. We set
Whilst in Dalat...Whilst in Dalat...Whilst in Dalat...

...we received a divine visitation from God. Which was nice.
off to go to a museum - on the map it didn't look difficult but actually driving around here is a different matter - none of the roads are very well signed and junctions are very vague (i.e. two or three roads can branch off one place) and the roads sometime disolve into a warren of side streets, so it is very hard to work out how the sanitised map and the slightly crazed road network are related (unlike anywhere else we've rented a moped). In the end we just gave up and cruised around instead!

We went up the hills on the outerskirts of the town where we got some good views, then had a drink by the lake - very relaxing. They even have a cable car here (which we could find on the map) so we went up that to see a pagoda on the other side. Finally we stopped at the 'Crazy House', a hotel with a difference - its a massive mould concrete structure that imitates a rock and organic sort of tree house. Thats a weird explanation, but its a weird place! Very unique and we were tempted to stay a night there
Banana and Chocolate Pancakes in DalatBanana and Chocolate Pancakes in DalatBanana and Chocolate Pancakes in Dalat

Lovely Jubbly. Tell any Vietnamese Restuarant owner you are English and that's also the reply you'll get.
but then decided not to (given we had already confirmed our trip to Nha Trang tommorrow, and being 30 dollars a night compared to our 6 dollars a night at the moment - it was a bit steep). Although there is not much to do, unless you go trekking, both James and I felt we could stay here for a few days as it is a good place to chill out, but we are moving on tomorrow as the journey up to Hanoi seems like it will mean quite a few long bus journeys and we still have to guarantee a few days in Hanoi to sort out our Chinese visas (and book our ticket to Nanning or wherever the heck our first stop in China will be - not sure yet).



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Medical issues at the V CafeMedical issues at the V Cafe
Medical issues at the V Cafe

I had started to develop sight problems...
Medical issues at the V CafeMedical issues at the V Cafe
Medical issues at the V Cafe

And Aristi's head had started to fall off...
MODMOD
MOD

Well, sort of...
"Horsies!""Horsies!"
"Horsies!"

Aristi cries! Overlooking the massive manmade lake at Dalat, on the way to the waterside cafe.
Light ReadingLight Reading
Light Reading

Aristi reads books at lightspeed. Sometimes she reads them so fast she arrives back before she even started reading them (or at least this is my theory as to why she can't remember any book she finishes after the last page)... We ran out of books so I gave her this map. Fortunately, she can't read maps for toffee and this kept her occupied for hours...
HeatHeat
Heat

Its a magazine, its a de Nero film, and its everywhere we go in Vietnam.
I'm a lion, hear my roarI'm a lion, hear my roar
I'm a lion, hear my roar

If, ofcourse, I wasnt constructed entirely out of painted concrete. Which unfortunately I am. Rrrrr.
Crazy HouseCrazy House
Crazy House

No. Really. (actually a better name would be silly ridiculous and vaguely pointless hotel)
Still Crazy...Still Crazy...
Still Crazy...

Stay at this hotel for a night and you may well go crazy. It is cool in a kind of very uncool way though...
Ant RoomAnt Room
Ant Room

Its a room, with a large model ant in it. With glowing red eyes. Maybe at the dead of night it comes to life and eats out your brains. Probably not. That would be pretty bad press. And its a model. And relax....


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb