3 Places We Loved in Uzbekistan


Advertisement
Uzbekistan's flag
Asia » Uzbekistan
April 14th 2015
Published: April 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Republic of Uzbekistan is a Central Asian country surrounded by five others namely Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan. While the majority of its economy is focused on producing commodities such as natural gas, its government has slowly paved the way for the country’s expansion in the tourism industry.



Because many of the cities in Uzbekistan were part of the Silk Road route, the country has become rich in terms of cultural and historical treasures that have been well-preserved. Thus, despite the unforgiving desert climate, Uzbekistan still draws a plethora of tourists every month.



Below are among the top three places that we loved in the country when we travelled there with James from Silk Road Tours :



Tashkent



This city is the modern gateway into the country. Unfortunately, many historical places have been destroyed to give way to more modern reconstructions in the hopes of attracting more visitors. Even so, people who visit the city are still taken to a great tour into the country’s culture through various museums such as the History Museum of the People of Usbekistan and Fine Arts Museum of Usbekistan, among many others.



It is also still possible to look into parts of the city that have retained its old appeal. The Old Town in Tashkent is where old museums, bazaars and numerous mosques are found.



Bukhara



Bukhara is a city-museum found in Uzbekistan that is dotted by numerous architectural sites. Major sights in the city are museums but it is also possible to go to a mausoleum if one wishes. As a part in the Silk Road trail, the center of Bukhara has been listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.



Among the most memorable activities to do in Bukhara is to try out the Bozori Kord Hammam. Beyond photos and souvenirs, this one-of-a-kind treatment will let you experience the real Bukhara: a private bath in the hammam (an assistant helps out at the beginning) and then be treated to an authentic Bukhara-style massage. Yes, it is possible for the assistant to sit or stand on you!



Chimgan



For the more adventurous type of traveler, Chimgan is the best place to be in Uzbekistan. This place is actually a huge skiing complex located in the Chimgan Mountains and is being surrounded by hotels and cottages thus making it a very convenient place to visit.



During the winter, the Chimgan Mountains draw in visitors who do not just want to go skiing but also want to try out snowboarding or riding in a toboggan. Spring also continues to attract visitors since the mountains allow for rock climbing and sky surfing. In the summer, guests in the Chimgan Mountains may choose to admire the majestic landscapes either by riding a horse of by flying on a paraglider.



Aside from the mountainous landscapes, it is also possible to admire rivers, lakes and waterfalls in this area.



Uzbekistan still offers a whole lot more than these places although you should never leave the country without visiting these top three. What other places in the country make you want to visit again?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.426s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb