Wasn't that a party


Advertisement
Uzbekistan's flag
Asia » Uzbekistan » Bukhara
April 19th 2013
Published: April 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yikes!! the food and the vodka flowed ... and possibly even overflowed all evening. We had a great time and although we were tourists , we were Yura's group and it was his friend's wedding . The mother of the groom met us as we came in and took us to a table that had been reserved for us .

It went like this . We arrived as the bride and the groom did . The trumpets were blaring and the male friends were gathered round the bride who wearing a lacy veil that covered her face and a beautiful beaded white wedding gown .That poor girl bowed to everyone and continued to bow ALL NIGHT . They were escorted to a dais at the front of the hall where really she bowed all night to those in attendance . She did get to sit down a few times and she had 2 dances . One with her husband and the second with her attendant . They had been escorted to the front by 2 young men wearing 6" stilts . They pranced about like horses and had a lot of fun . Meanwhile the orchestra played up a storm . Drums , saxaphone , keyboards , computer ,guitar and assorted other instruments all playing VERY loudly . Uzbek dance music is very lively and that part of the evening was introduced by 2 women wearing the most amazing costumes . Their dance was similar to belly dancing but no hip movements . Upper body isolations and whirling and twirling that lifted their heavy layered , beaded skirts much like the dervishes . They worked with the band and people would give them money throughout the evening. After their performance the crowd was invited to dance as well . Our table was was introduced and we were welcomed and invited to join them as well ... I think we were the floor show !

and then there was the food

All manner of things , in small bowls and plates COVERING the table . We each had a fork and a spoon and there were napkins available as well . Later they brought each of us a bowl of soup ... then a plate of hot food ... and towards the end wedding cake . I am sure we didn't eat half of what was available and not because it wasn't good . There was just to much of it .

and then there was the vodka .

Whoa ...small glass , maybe 2 oz and , pour a shot , clink a glass and drink it down . The previous night , at the homestay , we had practiced that a little because of the cold rain ( yeah right ) and I had gotten the hang of it . The first few really are breath taking but one does get the hang of it and it really does help with the dancing. Everyone dances , young and old partnered and in groups with the professionals leading us on the whole time .

and lord knows we danced , and danced, and danced and Yura filled and refilled our glasses MANY times . It is interesting though because I didn't feel like I was drinking ... until we got back to the hotel @1am . I realized that as I started to reel my way down the hall to my room and fell asleep quite quickly . I woke up 6 hours later hungry ... not hung over in the least . Amazing.!!

It was a great evening and we are so pleased that Yura trusted us enough to bring us along ... and to drink a few bottles with us .

A few words about Bukhara . A beautiful city ... really beautiful . It was a center of trade on the silk road and has been in existance for 2500 years . We are staying in old town which has had much reconstruction and a thriving tourist industry . Do check it out on line . I'm sure the explanations and photos will capture your imagination as it has captured mine.

Hope all is well . Keep me posted.

Advertisement



19th April 2013

WOW!!!
Sounds like quite an experience. Good for you. It is so neat to really join in the REAL people's lives, rather than just be a spectator. We found that last year with the quicienera, the concegration, & sadly the funeral. The customs are different, but all cultures have interesting celebrations. We are so happy you got to be wedding guests. You must be a totally bonded group after all this. Continue enjoying your tour. & we are enjoying the updates. Tks. R got another meatatarian fix last night. He had another prime rib meal. So did I, but I don't NEED it like he does. It was good, I must admit. Packing today & tomorrow. Then on the road again Sun. Have fun. love, R&C
19th April 2013

Great BLOG
I am really enjoying your postings....what a fantastic trip.
20th April 2013

Sounds like fun.
Pam, your host Yura sounds like a terrific person and certainly has given you an opportunity to interact with the local people. I look forward to seeing the wedding pictures if you were allowed to take any. If vodka going to be your new favorite, we will toast you with a few shots here. Stay safe and keep us posted.
21st April 2013

The Party
You did not say what you wore but I hope it was colourful and "swirly" for all that dancing. I,too ,am surprised that you were not "swirly" after all that vodka.
21st April 2013

Sounds like a blast. You give a great description which made it very visible to us. Luke and I read, laughed and enjoyed. Thanks
21st April 2013

WOW
This sounds like a once in a lifetime experience. I bet most tours do not get invited to weddings. And what an amazing description you provided. I felt like I was there. Where's the vodka? Here you are missing freezing rain and flurries and the winter that does not know how to end, so party on, Pam. I wish I were there!
21st April 2013

the color blue
Blue being my favorite color, I like seeing the prominence of it in Islamic architecture. In the research I've been doing while studying at LaPamba U I discovered some interesting info about it. "For one, the blue shades seen in the Gur-i Amir are colors of mourning. Blue was the color of mourning in Central Asia at the time, as it is in many cultures even today, and its dominance in the city's mausoleum appears to be a very rational idea. In addition, blue was also seen as the color that would ward off "the evil eye" in Central Asia and the notion is evident in the number of doors in and around the city that were colored blue during this time. Furthermore, blue was representative of water, which was a particularly rare resource around the Middle East and Central Asia; coloring the walls blue symbolized the wealth of the city." Thank you wikipedia!

Tot: 0.379s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb