Samarqand to Bukhara


Advertisement
Uzbekistan's flag
Asia » Uzbekistan » Bukhara
April 18th 2013
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

What an amazing few days !

Driving in this country is a bit of a challenge .The average speed is @45-50 kph. so 250 miles = 5 hours and if the road is good 320km=6 hours . Books ,guides ,snacks and naps are the best way to do it periodically a song or joke will emerge but they have been quite low key . A stop every 2-3 hours , either a "nature " (ie the side of the road ) or at a caveranasi (truck stop ) if Yuri thinks the washrooms will be clean enough for us ! What a prince !!!

He truly is . He is a font of knowledge and seems to enjoy our company . We are a beer drinking somewhat raucous group that laughs a lot . At a restaurant in Samarqand Kim and Pru met some Uzbek women celebrating their education awards . We ended up joining them on the dance floor for several tunes and he just about cracked up . A good time was had by all .

Samarqand !! The photos you see of the Registan , the Mausoleums and the Medrasses are real !! The soviets destroyed many of them in the 1st half of the 20th century but then started the reconstruction after the that . They did a marvellous job and since independance the Uzbeks have continued the work . I am impressed . These structures are HUGE ! Much of the work is paint , the interiors are amazing confections of paper mache ! sometimes embossed with gold .The exteriors are both tile and paint . That surprised me . It is not a wonder thattthey need work . The oldest mosque we have seen was built in the 700's ,one of the oldest in Central Asia. Our hotel was across from the Registan which made it easy to take it all in .

From there we headed up in the mountains to a village called Sentyab for a homestay there . It was beautiful . The journey was long and it rained most of the time .Thar made hiking impossible but we were able to wander up and down the hillside and met friendly people quick to offer us tea . The villagers are mostly shepards and there is not a great deal of money but the children are happy , healthy and clean which says a lot about the way of life . The life expectancy there is high with people living to 110 .

Anyway it continues . Stay tuned ! I need to get ready for an Uzbek wedding celebration this evening .

Love the comments....

Advertisement



18th April 2013

Built in the 700's & still standing?!!
Amazing! & I thought MX was old. Well, I guess some of the pyramids are, but not the European structures. We (Europeans) are such snobs, aren't we? Or is it just me? Anyway your tour sounds terrific. Glad you have fun people to share it with. That sure would help. & a great guide is a must. We will be leaving here Sun after Mass & lunch, to go to BC. We can't face the winter just yet. You are getting your wish, the melt is going slowly. So we are making our way home slowly. Benjamin has his First Communion on Apr. 28, so we will attend that. Then we will probably go home after that. Continue enjoying. love, R&C
18th April 2013

Wow Pam. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time. I have to say that I have always admired your lack of fear to try things and go places. The nice thing is that you take some of along. Luke and I are finally getting ready to plan our first trip abroad. Nothing as daring as your trips; just a Viking River Boat Tour. I await your next blog!:) Enjoy.
18th April 2013

Enjoying your blog
Hi Pam I have been enjoying your messages since you arrived in Turkey. I like your descriptions & reactions about what you see. I was a little worried for you with the ticket problems & cancellations you described but you always deal with probs in an intelligent way, & you seem so calm! Sounds like you're with a fun group now. I'm blown away with the history of Samarkand. Have fun. Cheers. Linda
21st April 2013

Wardrobe decision
I hope that we shall find out what you wore to the wedding celebration.

Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb