Turkmenistan


Advertisement
Turkmenistan's flag
Asia » Turkmenistan » Ashgabat
July 9th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Fire-crater 14 secs
Ashgabat MosqueAshgabat MosqueAshgabat Mosque

Yep, that dome is gold-plated
Straight to Ashgabat, the capital, and probably the strangest place on earth.

Some interesting facts; Ashgabat has more hotel rooms that the average number of tourists for the whole country, ANUALLY. Petrol costs less than 4p a gallon. There are 17 gold-plated statues or former president (and local madman) Niazov Turkmenbashi in town. There are no taxis in Ashgabat, you just flag down a car going in the right direction.

I wander the streets, amazed by the brand new and empty ofccie and residential buildings, but am unable to take any photos for fear of arrest.

I can't wait to leave.

The currency of Turkmenistan, the Manat, has been devalued so many times now that their smallest note is 10000 manat. I shared a bar-bill with two others on the first night. It came to 1.6 million Manat.

On the way out of town I visit the Tolkuchka Sunday market, Bustling, busy and incredibly smell. I don't buy anything.

I spend two nights camping in the Karakum desert and visit the fire-crater, out in the middle of nowhere. It's a massive hole in the ground 70m across and 40m deep, where natural gas comes to
Earthquake memorialEarthquake memorialEarthquake memorial

The statue's gold-plated too
the urface. It was accidentally lit over 50 years ago and has been burning ever since. Definitely the highlight of my stay in Turkemnistan!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb