Getting Around In Bangkok - Travel Tips


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 13th 2017
Published: February 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Travel in a new city is always a somewhat stressful and daunting undertaking, especially in a new country where you don't speak the language. Luckily, Bangkok has a number of fast and affordable options for getting around. Here are Holiday Taxisrecommendations.


BTS Skytrain



The Bangkok Mass Transit System (known colloquially as the BTS or the Skytrain) is by far the fastest and easiest way to get around the city. This elevated rapid transit system is comprised of two lines and 34 stations in total. The Sukhumvit line runs to the north and east, while the Silom line primarily covers the city's business district. The two lines cross at Siam station. The BTS is a fast, clean, and cost-effective way to get around Bangkok. You can enjoy a scenic view while traveling on the BTS to shopping malls, markets, the riverside, and lots of other attractions within the city.


MRT Subway



The Metropolitan Rapid Transit (MRT) is similar to the BTS, except the majority of its track runs underground in a subway, as opposed to being a Skytrain. The MRT transports more than 200,000 passengers per day throughout its 35 stations in the metropolitan center of Bangkok. Just like the BTS, the MRT is a fast and efficient way to get around Bangkok, with trains arriving every 5 to 7 minutes. The MRT also connects with the BTS Skytrain through the Silom and Sukhumvit stations.


Taxis





Aside from the MRT and BTS, taxis are the most convenient and simple way to travel around Bangkok. Taxis are typically newer models of clean and spacious cars and come in a wide variety of colours. Getting a taxi is not difficult, particularly around shopping malls, hotels, or other busy tourist areas. However, you can experience longer wait times during rush hour or bad weather. Taxis are essential for getting around after midnight, as the BTS and MTS do not operate after this time.

Pricing for taxis usually starts at 35 baht for the first two kilometers, with the fare increasing around 2-5 baht per additional kilometer thereafter. When you get into the taxi, ensure the meter is on and shows the initial charge of 35 baht. Some drivers will attempt to negotiate a fixed fare rather than using the meter. You should be aware that this is illegal, and if this occurs you should get out of the taxi immediately and find another driver.



Motorcycle taxis are also found in a lot of locations. The fare for a typical motorcycle trip ranges from approximately 15 to 40 baht. Motorcycle taxis are considered a more dangerous way to get around Bangkok and aren't recommended for longer trips. If you do decide to take a motorcycle taxi, the driver should supply you with a helmet, and you should wear it.



Communication with taxi drivers can be challenging at times, as they often only speak a small amount of English. However, most will recognize popular destinations such as the BTS, MRT, and airport. For other destinations, you might need to use your imagination and improvisational skills to communicate where you need to go.



Do remember that you can pre-book for taxis and transfers in advance with Holiday Taxis and take away all the hassle and stress!




Tuk-Tuk



A visit to Bangkok just wouldn't be complete without taking a ride in a tuk-tuk at least once! This three-wheeled motorized vehicle can be found all over the city. Unlike taxis, tuk-tuks do not have meters, and all prices need to be negotiated. For this reason, they are not as economical as using taxis for most of your transportation.


Airport Rail Link (ARL)



The Airport Rail Link (ARL) is a subway system that will transport you directly from Suvarnabhumi Airport to the center of the city. This train departs every 20 minutes and takes around 30 minutes to travel from the airport to the terminal station in the city center. A trip along the full route will cost you 45 baht. As with the BTS and MRT, the ARL only runs until midnight.


Conclusion





With a little research, you will find that getting around in Bangkok can be safe, quick, cheap, and easy. There are a number of great options as discussed above. Now all that's left is for you to find out which ones will work best with your schedule and travel needs.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb