Hello Thailand!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
January 2nd 2016
Published: January 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

So we made it... 2 flights and a whole lot of waiting around and safe and sound we arrived in Bangkok. It wasn't until we actually came out of the airport that it started sinking in... We're actually here! It was weird how not weird it felt to be back in Thailand. That distinct musky smell and the humid punch in the face you got leaving the airport was strangely comforting. We jumped in a cab and headed on to Koh San Road which (in theory) was parallel to where our hostel was. I remembered this same journey from last year, but this time I took a whole lot more in. The diversity in Thailand is quite insane. A Lamborghini showroom randomly situated on a dead highway next to a tiny, worn down coffee shop with a homeless man curled up outside, just didn't seem right. Towering sky scrapers and plush hotels across the road from streets full of desperate beggars....There were beautiful arrays of lights though for the holiday season. Fairy lights glistening on trees down rows and rows of streets as far as the eye could see. It was pretty overwhelming but filled me with a whole lot of warmth.
We were dropped off on the main road as taxis weren't able to go from the road of our hostel, Rambuttri Road. I remembered last year going round and round in circles searching for our hostel with our heavy ass bags on our back. This time I knew exactly where I was going, well I mean we may have walked past it once but still! And don't underestimate the power of google maps and doing a bit of research before you go. The streets are manic at night with street carts selling insect delicacies, the classic Chang vests, fresh pad tai whisked up in seconds, coconut ice cream, and then rammed and rowdy bars and restaurants blaring western tunes throughout the streets. The Aris Hostel was were we were staying just for one night before having to get up for our 6am bus to the islands, ugh. Can't say the South African guy that run the hostel was the friendliest.. In fact he made me feel very on edge like everything was a hassle for him. But then I remember what James told me... "Be the most friendly and lovely you can to 100%!o(MISSING)f people and at least 50%!w(MISSING)ill give it back to you." Just before bed we made a snack stop at the all famous 7eleven. Pretty ironic that the first thing I've eaten in Thailand is from a corner shop in essence, but don't judge me, the heart wants what the heart wants, and this heart wants a ham and cheese toastie and a meji strawberry milk. You don't know till you know. It's 8am at the moment, 1hr into the 9hr journey headed to the first. Of the South Thailand islands. I'm absolutely dreading the 3hr boat to Koh Phanghan. The death boat that likes to tear up the sea like there's no tomorrow. Don't even get me started...

Advertisement



2nd January 2016

Daughteronamission
Great to read your blog. Feel like I'm on the journey with you. Can see, smell and feel all that you describe. Can't wait to read some more. The adventure begins. Xxx

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb