That was fast


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
August 12th 2006
Published: August 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Finally..i get this travel blog thing figured out and before i know it ....i'm leaving in 2 days. Well..it certainly has been the adventure of a lifetime...and now i'm hooked on this place. Really..i didn't know what to expect before coming here...forget about reading all those travel reviews that put the fear of the great Buddah in you. You just don't know till you go see for yourself.
Arriving in Bangkok was really not as bad as i'd heard...at least not for the first few minutes. Oh..the heat...the noise...the smells. I'll never say that our pulp mill stinks again!! So we take a taxi to our first nite in a luxurious hotel...the Holiday Inn. Not too shabby. But we decided...after a nice hot shower and some food..that really ..this is not necessary and rather extravagant so after some sleep, we get a taxi to the famous Khao San Rd...where all the shabby, smelly backpackers go to party. Thus begins the art of bartering with the taxi drivers. So we get a room at some dingy little place whose name escapes me at the moment. After one night there I decide that this is not ok..there has to be a better place...in fact..this is my mantra all thru our trip. What can i say...i know there is something better out there waiting for me. Anyhow..we find a guesthouse called the D&D Inn...really quite nice. The beds were great..the decor quite nice and the bathroom...almost perfect. We get settled in and then go for some food and some shopping. What a bloody zoo this place is...it stinks so much that I can't imagine eating anything. But hey...can't go to Thailand and not see where it all happened in the 70"s ...right? We do the usual tourist things...like go to the huge MBK ) i think that's the name) mall....it is huge. Shopping for clothes is depressing for a person my age and size....in Canada...i'm considered normal size ...here they say..no have big size. So...i'll settle for things that i don't have to wear on my apparently "big" farang body. Hehe. so funny. We also check out the HUGE Chaduchak (spelling???) Market..it truly is the biggest shopping area i have ever seen in my life. It is sweltering hot in there...wall to wall people...but utterly fascinating. The food area is amazing...no idea what the hell most of it is...i was going to try eating a bug..but that idea quickly left my mind after seeing them. Nope...no bugs for this farang. After a good foot massage and something to drink we shop some more..then decide it's time to go back to our home away from home. Hmmmm...my stomach doesn't feel well...i think i'm gonna be sick...and damn..i was right. Sick for 2 days in fact which sucks cause we were planning on leaving Bangkok and heading for the islands. Becca took care of me..i was very happy that she was there..i can't imagine being sick and being alone...you just want your mommy when that happens..in this case..my daughter.
So after recovering...i will never ever eat Pad Thai again..just the name gives me goosebumps. Such a tradgedy....i use to crave it. Anyway....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb