Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 26th 2012
Published: February 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thursday Feb 23rd: Some of the group went off this morning to the Blue Elephant cooking school. They were taken to the market and had many of the sites and smells explained to them. At the school they were shown a dish and then taken to their own stations to prepare it. When all four dishes were made they each ate their own creations. They were then taken to Health Land for massages. The other half of the group went for massages in the morning. I had a full (and I do mean full) body massage and foot reflexology. It was wonderful. We stopped at a shopping mall on the way home that was similar to our western malls although all the stores are small and crowded. back to the hotel for a swim and then we all gathered to go to Jim's office. We met Nippatra who had done much of the planning for our trip and gave her a small gift of thanks. She was quite overwhelmed as the fourteen of us stood in the crowded office area and singled her out. Jim has a very large operation employing over 500 people in the various branches. He showed us each area and introduced us to one of hisfirst partners, a lady who has been with him since the start of Destination Asia. Jim's office is situated in an area which was determined by his Fueng Sheu (sp?) consultant. The area that was originally planned for him was determined to be very unlucky so that corner of the building is not used. Approximately 10% of the building is rented but not used because of this. Jim is also very superstitious about numbers and his bank accounts, meeting dates and times are all carefully picked by his consultant. Often a meeting will begin at 8:18 or 9:28 and he is very strict about not beginning the agenda until that exact time. It seems to have worked well for him!

Quick trip to the tailor for another fitting and we then head back to the hotel to get ready for dinner at Jim and Or's. We arrive by van and are met at the door by Jim and Or. Up the elevator and we are greeted by red carpet from the elevator to their door. Jim has had a huge poster made up announcing the SOS Mini Clun Far East Dinner and stating that only fans of the Sask Roughriders, Pats and Toronto Maple Leafs will be admitted. Dave and a couple other non Toronto fans must pay homage to the Leafs before allowed entry. Jim's place is filled with his collections of miniature war displays, tanks, airplanes, books and travel posters. We have a glass of champagne and then up to the roof for dinner. We walk onto the open terrace and it is magical. His building looks down on the US embassy and grounds and all around are spectacular skyscrapers lighting the sky. The table is decorated with flowers and candles as is the bar and the Royal Orchid has provided tables full of beautifully displayed food. We dine on lobster, prawns, lamb, beef, chicken, fish, salads, fruit....... It is truly a feast. Jim has music from our era and after the meal we all dance. I have to pinch myself to know that I am really experiencing this wonderful evening.

Fri. Feb 24 : Today is Jim's day to take us to the river Kwai. We travel by bus and for the first couple of hours are very quiet. We slowly climb into the mountains and eventually enter countryside where we see lots of sugar cane and tapioca growing along side the ever present rice fields. We arrive at Kanchanaburi to visit the JEATH Museum. Jim has arranged for one of the curators to show us around. He is Australian and his Dad was a POW and died when he was only four as a result of his time spent building the railway. The museum is fascinating and we cRoss the street to visit the cemetery which is maintained by the Commonwealth. Andrew shows us six graves of Canadian POW's and explains where they were from and how they died. We lay flowers on each of their graves and as we pass row after row we are struck by the young ages on the markers, many the same as our sons. The graves and grounds are kept in perfect repair and stand as a testament to the unbelievable suffering which occurred here at the hands of the Japanese. We travel further to a bridge over the Maekong river renamed the Kwai River. This bridge is not actually the bridge of movie fame but was actually bombed during the war and is now used for tourists to view as "the bridge over the river Kwai" We travel by bus a little further and can see how hard it was to construct the railway around and through mountainous terrain in the blazing heat. It is easy to see why so many died and the history of the railway is explained to us in personal stories from Andrew. We board a train and travel on the same tracks built in such a short time with such a huge human cost and are reminded a little of our own coast to coast railway and the Chinese who lost their lives to build it. Home after a very long, hot day with our heads once again full of so much new and fascinating information. We would never have been able to plan this trip on our own and the people who are guiding and showing us their countries have made this trip unforgettable.

Sat Feb 25. Today we do the Chatuchak market a 35 acre outdoor local market. We have extra guides to try to keep us all together but this proves to be an impossible feat. It is 37 degrees and the sun beats down. Narrow aisles become more and more narrow and more and more crowded. We see everything imaginable from clothes to household articles, crafts, souvenirs, food, art and more. We head into an air conditioned area for lunch and then out into the heat again. This is where Bangkok citizens get their deals. great to see but I have to say I am glad I don't have to shop here on a regular basis! Home quite exhausted and get ready for our last night in Bangkok. Jim takes us to a Chinese restaurant where we sit at a huge round table with glass lazy Susan. We eat duck, lobster, fish, and all kinds of Chinese and Thai dishes. Then it is up to the Vertigo bar on the 63rd floor of a hotel. This bar is open air with only waist high plexiglass to separate us from the sky. It is a wonderful view and is one of only four places in the world which would allow the lack of barriers and protection. Jim tells us it is the most romantic spot in Bangkok and many engagements take place here. Home once again exhausted to sleep and then tackle the impossible task of packing our many shopping purchases into already full suitcases.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb