Reflections on a Great Escape


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
December 27th 2011
Published: December 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The idea of writing a book seemed impossible; I had never done anything like it before. However I had already discovered that anything could be possible. Writing the book allowed me to re-visit my adventures and savour them.


The biggest surprise for me, was the end result. Apart from being my own personal guide to the distance I have ‘travelled’ and the stretches I can make, I hope my story will inspire and encourage others into making that trip, solo or otherwise, they CAN make it happen. There is a world of new friends out there and a mountain of memories to collect.

This has been a big project for me, I had a vision of a paperback book. Publishers and agents weren't interested, the market is satuarted with travel journals - unless I had £9000 to spare.


I looked at self publishing, attended a publishing workshop and found all sorts of conflicting information.


The ebook idea and in particular the Kindle version have presented me with the opportunity to get the book out there, let go of it and hopefully produce the paperback version later. Now that it is done, I am so excited, and feel free to start my next book.

Please add a comment or review on Amazon, or on this blog, it will be lovely to hear from you.








A synopsis of the book - 'Reflections on a GREAT ESCAPE'


A daughter, a wife, a mother and a divorcee. Lorraine had been a single parent for the best part of 21 years, with several close family losses in her mid twenties, followed by years of anxiety and depression; she battles those demons and starts on a journey of self development. In her mid forties she makes the decision to embark on a trip of a lifetime, it wasn't intended as a trip to find herself, more about exploring what is 'out there'.



However, quitting her job and selling her home to fund the trip, encouraging her son to independent living, she starts the solo journey to far off lands that do actually teach her as much about herself, as of the cultures she encounters.

Making the decision was the hard part, (to do something totally selfish), at the same time as to courageously face the fear of doing it alone, step out of the comfort zone, step off the career ladder, and risk demolishing relationships with mother, son and current boyfriend to take off on a mission of discovery and exploration.

The hurdles to jump, (in the planning and preparation), the decision to sell or rent her home, finalising the sale of that home, where to go (with the whole world to choose from), how to get from A to B, what to pack, what injections, ponder on safety and well being of mum and son in her absence, how to keep in contact. The set up of this travel blog (surfeye) that turns out to be her travel companion.

Too old to be a career gapper and too young to be denture venturer, Lorraine planned on a whole year of travel. The flight tickets were finally booked and the journey unfolded in its unique way of coincidences, it flexed and changed as if it had its own agenda, and once started, each step led onward to the next country or continent of unforgettable scenery.

First stop is Bangkok and a planned group adventure trip to Laos introduces her to Paula, who is almost at an end of her world trip and has lots of tips to share. It’s a good way to start, in the safety of a group she learns how to move around the country step by step, gets used to the weight of carrying all her belongings in one pack and understands the difference between undertaking an ongoing trip, to being on an annual holiday.

Back in Bangkok and a chance meeting with Noi takes her onward by bus to Hua Hin and a Thai cookery day. Visiting islands doesn’t seem to have the right vibe without a couple, speaking of which her couple, John, misses her very much, enough to book his own ticket to meet her in New Zealand (at 6 months into her trip).

By land, (train and bus) she continues her solo journey into Malaysia, visiting some random tourist spots including the PetronasTwinTowers of KL. There are some uncomfortable situations and she reaches a point after two months of almost calling it a day. It’s a turning point of growth; she pulls through and crosses the border into Singapore, in readiness for her onward flight to Australia.

Arrival in Perth feels like the whole purpose of the trip is realised, all that went before was just a practice run, not underestimating the vastness of a continent she wanted to explore every corner of, and in three months certainly made a good stab at doing so.

In a kind of zig zag formation and on varying modes of transport she went up the west coast down the centre to the red desert and flying back up to North Queensland making several stops along the east coast through to New South Wales and Victoria.

Travelling in backpacker style, staying in hostels brings her in contact with other like minded travellers, of differing age and temperament. Ironically in some cases too much time crammed in over packed busses with people you wouldn’t normally share a tea break with and instances of making lasting friendships after fleetingly meeting in a hostel lounge. For a land so vast it was uncanny you could find yourself meeting up with a person more than once in the travelling circuit.

At each step Lorraine realises she trusts her instincts more and more; she lives in every moment and makes chance meetings and coincidences into opportunities, moving her onto the next step of her journey. She finds out about her own needs and values adjusting travel plans when necessary, finding the biggest prize of all, freedom of spirit.

Beautiful Tasmania is bitter sweet, knowing that there are only days left in Australia, it simply isn’t enough time, a once in a lifetime trip that would most certainly have to be made again….. one day. A land of contrast in climate and scenery had definitely fulfilled a dream and more. The vivid starkness gave a feeling of being in a picture postcard.

Arriving in Auckland with a heavy heart and only one month left before meeting with John again. Mixed feelings of anticipation and excitement of seeing John, having a companion to share the journey and of apprehension in the knowledge of how much she had changed in the six months since he last held her hand.

Compared to the cracked reds and browns left behind, New Zealand offers a ruffled green rug of countryside, encouraging her to explore on a whistle stop bus tour, prior to John’s arrival. It acts as a good reconnaissance for ideas of places to explore; she just has to work out how to get hold of a vehicle to get them around.

The backpacker car market has the answer and the purchase of a fairly battered Mitsubishi L300 Sportpac van. John arrives a week before Christmas and almost instantly the journey takes off in a new direction. In a carefree bubble of laughter and wonderment, their own magic carpet is the van named Sea Dog.

John’s holiday extends from 3 weeks to 3 months. They explore and he surfs on both North and South Island, notching up some 8000km worth of memories, to treasure for a lifetime. Back home friends and relatives are having babies and the internet remains a constant source of contact.

Lorraine eventually makes the decision to end her trip earlier than originally planned and return home with John, tickets are amended and one final stop is arranged for San Francisco in March.

All too suddenly, like waking up from a fabulous dream, they realise that they must return to Auckland and sell their Sea Dog. Time is tight and it’s a tense moment, however the backpacker car market offers a buyer – the sale is made for the same price as the purchase price, with a few extra’s including tent and camping gear.

Flying separately to San Francisco, Lorraine leaves first, in a fresh wave of excitement at exploring new horizons. Making friends with a fellow passenger on the flight from LA to San Francisco, they discover they are staying in the same hotel. She is reminded once again that travelling solo can be just as much fun, forming new friendships and those funny coincidences that make the journey so interesting.

John arrives the following day and cannot shake off the sadness he feels of leaving behind his dream holiday, and finding himself in a scheming city of homeless vagrants and gay pride only adds to his discomfort. In complete contrast Lorraine loves the vibrant colourful buzz of San Fran with a feeling of walking into an old favourite film scene, and a kind of familiarity that she can’t explain. America was never on her wish list of places to visit, but ending up there by chance, it rounds off her trip perfectly.

10 months, 7 countries, beautiful new friendships and hundreds of photos, back home to Plymouth and a new start, to share a home with John, and a feeling that things will never be quite the same again.



Your reviews will raise my profile, thank you for coming on the journey.






For more photo's - scroll down,


or


please view:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/surfeyeuk/


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Uluru - Ayers RockUluru - Ayers Rock
Uluru - Ayers Rock

Helicopter view


2nd January 2012

Go girl !!
Ahh Lorraine.. well done you. on making a funny and interesting read.... all your hard work has paid off.. woop woop.. x
3rd January 2012

to Paula,
Thank you, that means so much! x
5th January 2012

brilllls lor
its so cool lor, congratulations on going the whole way to 'getting it out there'. brill. x
9th June 2012

Great stuff
Well done on an informative & interesting read. It makes me feel I should drag out my rucksack, blow the dust off it and GO SOMEWHERE!. I cannot wait for your next book..................

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb