Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
December 17th 2011
Published: December 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 17thDecember – 09.00 local time.



Well its farewell to Phuket. Now sitting aboard the Phi Phi Island flyer ferry. I must say it’s all very civilised being picked up from the hotel and delivered to the terminal, tickets exchanged and two lads carry our bags aboard for us. On boarding we are offered complimentary tea/ coffee and local biscuits which Sue took a liking to having been starved of any sweet confectionary for three weeks.



Settled in our seats happily watching the scenery slip by anticipating some nice sunshine in Phi Phi.



I say anticipating as the last two days in Phuket have been overcast with rain at times but we didn’t let that get in the way of having a look round.



When we arrived last Tuesday we stayed for a night in Phuket Old Town. Neither of us thought much of the place, just another noisy busy town with no real heart to it. We did however take a tuk tuk out of town slightly and enjoyed a meal at a harbour restaurant which was nice.



The following day after a bit of research we made our way to Patong Beach and booked in at Crown Plaza Hotel, full of bl..dy Russians though. Settled in with a swim in the pool then walked around the town a bit before making for the Patong beach for a bit of sun and sand. Absolutely packed, never seen so many people on one stretch of sand. Lasted for two or three hours then back for shower before meeting up with Justin, old Shotley resident of Shipwreck fame, at his beach side bar. Had long chat about Shotley, the Shipwreck and the gossip and about his way of life here in Thailand.



Finished the evening with a sneaky Pizza before crashing for the night.



Made the brave or foolhardy decision to hire moped for two days so we can see a bit more of this coast line. Negotiated a deal for a sturdy 125cc machine, 400 Bart / £8.00 and set off wobbling our way up the road. Made our way out of town to Karon and Kata beaches and enjoyed an afternoon of swimming and sun, no crowds here which was luxury. Started to make our way back around 17.00 an hour or so before darkness descends when all of a sudden the heavens opened with a torrential downpour. Not trusting the roads we pulled over and took shelter until it cleared then made our way very cautiously back. Spent the evening in a bar chatting to an ex pat, 76yrs old, on his life style here, discovered he has a 32yr old Thai girl friend and survives on a diet of Chang and Viagra gel. Given a free sample if anyone is interested!



Yesterday morning spent arranging next stage of the trip then back on the bike in the opposite direction to another beach. This was nice, sitting side by side with the water lapping around the sun bed. Only thing wrong was that it as overcast with a spot or two of rain. Enjoyed banana pancake and a beer before making our way back to town to find a post office to send cards and a small parcel for Alex. Turned out to be a bit of a mission but successful in the end. Ended up riding through the centre of town at rush hour though, an education, i now have no fear of passing a bike test in the UK.



Spent the evening having a look at Bangla road, another education. Bangla i guess is the equivalent of your worst case scenario 18/30s destination. Nothing left for the imagination! If i had a pound for every time i was offered a Ping Pong show i would be very wealthy indeed. We instead opted for the safe version and watched with the other oldies from the street. Discovered this was the first night of the Patong carnival and at the beach was a rock concert which was ok.



That brings us up to date really. Impressions of Phuket, certainly not my favourite destination but definitely an experience. Would i come back, yes for a lad’s weekend but i doubt I’ll get a pass out from Sue!



That’s all for now,



J

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb