travelling Thailand (Krabi and koah lak)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 6th 2008
Published: March 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

KrabiKrabiKrabi

night food market
Next stop was the town of Krabi, being slightly inland it was a bit of a change from being on the beach the whole time.

Though there were plenty of white faces it was less touristy than the side of Thailand we had seen so far, this was reflected in the prices. We stayed in a lovely little hotel call Chan cha lay which was desigmed to look mediteranian, our room was large, clean (until I dropped a jar of coffee) and freshly painted and only cost 250 baht a night (about 4 quid).

We ate every night at the food market, this was a selection of little stalls with there own sets of tables and chairs that could cook asa many different meals as a restraunt. most dishes cost a quid or less (some nights I had 2 main meals as the were so good and so cheap.

Our time in Krabi was spent shopping (Jo found a branch of Boots!) or just wandering around. We picked up mementos and clothing as well as esentials for next to nothing. When we felt like a visit to the beach we jumped in the local transport which is a
Ao nangAo nangAo nang

Ronald Mcdonald demonstrating local greeting (we ate next door at the street stall)
four wheel drive with some benches and a covering in the back and got driven for about 20 mins to the neighbouring town of Ao Nang. Along the side of the road were the impresive limestone Karssts that Thailand is famous for and which makes up the islands.

We were due in the town of Kaoh lak to get on a dive boat but got there a couple of days early to have a look around, I was glad we did as whilst looking for a room we saw a poster asking for volunteers to help constructing and installing playground equiptment for underprivlaged schools and orphanages. Once settled we contacted Steve who was incharge of the project and arranged to help out the next day.

check out www.fun4kidsinthailand.org

The next few days were spent turning bamboo poles into climbing frames, this involved sanding them down appling layers of paint and putting all the pieces together and was hard work in the heat. Steve also appointed himself our unofficial tour guide and as well as showing us the conditions in some of the local schools he also took us on fun outings to the beaches outside of town
Ao nangAo nangAo nang

limestone karst
not normally seen by tourists.

Our involvement with the group also got us an invite to the turtle festival held annually in a near by town. The fesival is held by local people to celebrate turtles coming to lay eggs on the beaches, it take the form of a fancy dress parade followed by a carnival. A local VIP insisted that we join his family for a seven course dinner in the sectioned off area right infront of the main stage where traditional dances were being proformed, all this just on the off chance of seeing a poster.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Khoa lakKhoa lak
Khoa lak

painting
Khoa lakKhoa lak
Khoa lak

sanding
Khao lakKhao lak
Khao lak

finished
Khoa lakKhoa lak
Khoa lak

This navy boat was guarding the prince of Thailand when the tsunami, it has been left where it landed 2km inland as a memorial to him.
khoa lakkhoa lak
khoa lak

Turtle parade


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb